Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X6 - Same program posting for two machines

We have recently purchased our second Makino V33i, and we have hundreds of mold programs that we want to be able to run on either machine. Due to the precision we need on these molds, we have to keep 2 different tool libraries, in case we have to make any tweaks on the tools. So I created two Machine Groups, one for each machine.

My dilemma:

- What is the easiest way, if I wanted to change a program to run either on Machine A or Machine B?

- Do I have to program it for the both machines?

- Is there a way to just change the tool library and it updates the tool diameters of the tools in the program? (which is the main issue, to keep the right tool diameters)

I'm in pretty much the same boat, and I haven't found a way around it. I have to keep multiple machine groups, program for each machine, and if I'm going to make a change I have to do it in all machine groups. Trying to keep them all identical is a real pain. I wish there were an operation comparison utility much like a file comparison utility.

After the fact surely makes it more difficult, but the best way is to tool the machines the same as if they were in a cell system. Since you plan on running the same parts it kind of makes sense to do this.

Alternately, one company I worked for had dedicated tools for each job number. No matter what machine was used the tooling went with the job, not dedicated to a specific machine.