Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Conceptual X5 question, angled cuts on 3 axis mill

Hi everyone -- since my early lost-at-sea question I got GREAT support from Will Slota at MasterCam, and also the reseller (TESolutions) was very responsive and helpful. So, now have a working setup!

Here is my question, for which there is probably a very trivial answer, if I only knew the name of what I want!

When using the 3 axis mill manually, I know exactly how to get a 45 degree hole or feature: tip the part with a tilt vise. Or sine bar.

How is this to be achieved by Mastercam X5 in Solidworks? It appears [i'm not 100% clear] to offer only fixturing on bottom, top, front, back etc. of solid model. I would like to find some way to define a compound angle of presenting my solidworks model, so that the 3 axis mill can make its angled cuts!

Even brief or exasperated responses will be welcome, I know this kind of baby question is probably frustrating for most of you!

Sincerely yours,

Jim Papadopoulos

Northeastern University

• Like 3

You can orientate (what I assume you are calling fixturing) a part to any face, plane, or line you want by creating it if it doesn't exist in your 6 basic front , back ,side, etc.

I'm not sure if your asking how to orientate the part or if your asking how to cut an angle with MasterCam.....or both. The part geometry is what drives how you cut, so without it, the answers are infinite....

Do you have a square block you are trying to cut angles on ? Do you have a part with no square sides and you want to fixture it so you can cut more angles ? If you have a block with a 45 deg angle and have features that are perpendicular to that angle ,but not to the table then you will still have to tilt the part with only 3 axis. If you need to rotate the part in X5 to match a set up like this then read up on construction planes and xform . Also read up on WCS use. I assume you are brand new to X5 ?

Having a pic of the part is helpful......

• Like 3

Look here

In fact, you should subscribe to Jay's channel and watch all of his videos.

I think what you are trying to do is create a new WCS at a 45 degree angle to machine a part from a view other than the standard views. Is that what you mean? I know it's hard knowing what questions you need to ask when you don't understand the terminology and how things work to begin with. So don't sweat it. You have come to the right place.

• Like 3

Hi RN and SG: I am quoting your helpful answers in full, so I can explain myself better. MY WORDS IN CAPITALS....

Rotary Ninja: “Look here……… In fact, you should subscribe to Jay's channel and watch all of his videos.

WOW, I AM SURE THAT THIS KIND OF DEMO WOULD HELP ME IN A LOT OF AREAS. WHAT DO YOU

MEAN, "JAY'S CHANNEL", IS THAT ON YOUTUBE AND HOW DO I FIND IT?

I think what you are trying to do is create a new WCS at a 45 degree angle to machine a part from a view

other than the standard views. Is that what you mean? I know it's hard knowing what questions you need

to ask when you don't understand the terminology and how things work to begin with. So don't sweat it.

You have come to the right place”

SEEMS LIKELY! I THINK I WOULD INDEED SAY: I WANT TO MACHINE A PART FROM A VIEW OTHER

THAN THE STANDARD VIEWS. EXAMPLE: DRILL A HOLE AT 45 DEGREES TO THE FACE OF A CUBE.

MY VERY INCOMPLETE UNDERSTANDING (SEE BELOW) IS THAT I CAN MODEL A PART LIKE THAT

IN SOLIDWORKS, BUT THAT THEN CREATING A TOOLPATH IN MCX5 FOR SW REQUIRES ME TO

TELL MC TO LOOK AT THE PART ALONG THE AXIS OF MY HOLE....

SledGeek: You can orientate (what I assume you are calling fixturing) a part to any face, plane,

or line you want by creating it if it doesn't exist in your 6 basic front , back ,side, etc.

BY CREATING IT: I'M ALL EARS.

I'm not sure if your asking how to orientate the part or if your asking how to cut an angle with

MasterCam.....or both. The part geometry is what drives how you cut, so without it, the answers are infinite....

UNFORTUNATELY I AM NOT DRIVEN BY TRYING TO MAKE A PART. I AM TRYING TO GET A

STUDENT TO WRITE UP SOME BASIC GENERAL PURPOSE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE MACHINIST

IN THE DEPARTMENT MACHINE SHOP. I KNOW THAT HE WILL RECEIVE JOBS THAT

CANNOT BE DONE FROM ONE OF THE SIX CUBE FACES.

Do you have a square block you are trying to cut angles on ? Do you have a part with no square sides and

you want to fixture it so you can cut more angles ? If you have a block with a 45 deg angle and have features

that are perpendicular to that angle ,but not to the table then you will still have to tilt the part with only 3 axis.

If you need to rotate the part in X5 to match a set up like this then read up on construction planes and xform .

Also read up on WCS use. I assume you are brand new to X5 ?

BRAND NEW, YES! I SEE THAT I HAVE TO READ UP ON: CONSTRUCTION PLANES, XFORM, AND WCS.

THANK YOU!!!!

Having a pic of the part is helpful......

SORRY, AT THE MOMENT ALL I CAN DO IS MENTION HOLES OR OTHER FEATURES THAT

YOU WOULD NORMALLY MACHINE BY TILTING THE PART. TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET

MASTERCAM TO VIEW THE SOLIDWORKS PART ALONG SOME DIRECTION THAT IS NOT

FRONT, TOP, ETC.

Jim Papadopoulos

"Jay's Channel" - Sorry, I foget people are new here. Jay Kramer is an instructor on here who has some cool videos on Youtube. There is actually a wealth of information on Youtube and various other sites out there. But Jay has a lot of useful stuff here... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8KDcKij1rx3V-DiY1RmyXw

OK Jim. You first need to get a grasp on Views, WCS, Planes, etc.

CLICK HERE

That thread explains it all (so I don't need to type it all again) ;)

Once you have all of that information absorbed I am sure you will have more questions. At this pojnt the best advice I can give you is purchase a tutorial book on here like THIS ONE

Rotary Ninja, your input is very helpful.

Couldn't find a Jay Kramer channel, but the Precision Programming collection had this:

If it had shown a WCS with different orientation to plunge the angled hole, then my search would be over. But I assume that is the procedure! (Does that video have a Part 2???)

I read the views/planes thread, and I think it matches my rudimentary understanding.... Part of my confusion may be that we use MCX5 for SolidWorks, not stand-alone MC -- are they identical (I wouldn't assume so....). Hopefully the book you cited is not inconsistent with our SW installation!

Anyway, will read and look around, and it really seems to me the answer lies in the use of WCS. Thanks for your friendly helpfulness.

Jim Papadopoulos

Dear Rotary Ninja,

So sorry to play the child (which I am, I guess, in this new world) -- I see you posted a video or link to video, but surprisingly all the video links just show a question mark, unlike yesterday when they showed a picture and a 'play' button. Is it something I did????? (Something I said????) I would love to see what you so generously created!

Sincerely yours,

Jim Papadopoulos

OK, Rotary Ninja: Your Youtube Video

is exactly what I was asking about, so thank you!!!!!!

[All those tool selection steps were a surprise to me, I guess that is another arena we need to read up on.]

I'm going to say that the comments and guidance I have received so far have answered my question, so now it is up to me to find and study the appropriate book/manual!

Thanks for your help, and if you ever need any assistance with engineering analysis or design innovation, I hope I could return the favor!

Jim Papadopoulos, Northeastern University

:thumbsup: Nice Ninja......wish I had that kinda free time ! :p your a saint for donating your own time on this site :)

Being separated now I have too much free time. So I am taking this time to further my Mastercam skills in hopes it helps me in my career. Right now it's all I have. So helping on here helps me do that, and I just like helping out. And being a Mastercam junkie kinda helps too ;)

Dear Rotary Ninja,

So sorry to play the child (which I am, I guess, in this new world)

No worries. Everyone has to start somewhere.

OK, Rotary Ninja: Your Youtube Video is exactly what I was asking about, so thank you!!!!!!

[All those tool selection steps were a surprise to me, I guess that is another arena we need to read up on.]

I'm going to say that the comments and guidance I have received so far have answered my question, so now it is up to me to find and study the appropriate book/manual!

Thanks for your help, and if you ever need any assistance with engineering analysis or design innovation, I hope I could return the favor!

Jim Papadopoulos, Northeastern University

We have a learning group in case you haven't noticed. A few of us get together and we all program the same part and compare notes. It would be good for you.