Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drill Recommendation

Im getting ready to start a job and I need a drill recommendation. I have to drill a total of (3,636) 9mm holes and (2,432) 6.6mm holes through some structural channel. Each part only gets 6-8 holes. Im using some older machines so my rapid movements are hindering my cycle times. Its just structural channel so Im limited on improvements I can make in my setups to improve cycle time. Could I benefit from a high performance drill? Im only punching a hole through about 3/16" of material. Would it be worth it?

Thanks

This almost sounds like a hydraulic press job rather than drilling.

We've got an Iron worker but not the tooling. The holes go down the side of the channel and I don't have the right punch and die. Also, after talking to a couple of my machinists and welders they believe it would be hard to hold the location required.

Look at the Dormer A520 ADX HSS TiN Stub Drills. (4XD). They are a very cheap performance drill. We get the 1/4" ones for $22 each and in A36 we get around 750 holes running them 1900 rpm @18 ipm with no peck and with the split point design there is no need for a spot to start the drills. If you call there tech Marty at 1-888-336-7637 he will be more then happy to help you out or suggest a better alternative for your needs.