Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dormer Hydra Drills

Has anyone used these before? My tool supplier has a promo where if you buy either 4 or 6 heads (depending on the drill size) they throw the cutter body in for free.

Problem is one dormer insert is the price of a pack of inserts for a seco perfomax or sandvik coromant u drills. These will be used on a new lathe and bar feeder I have coming as soon as it clears customs that will just run high volume production so I don't mind spending a bit more if I can get the results but this is a bit nuts.

We have used them and when used right there great! They run faster, longer and hold closer fit but we mostly use Sumitomo SMD Drill, its the same tool, ask them! You might also check out the Sumitomo WDX Drill, their unreal what they will do and the two inserts are the same, not two diffrent ones, you wont be disapointed!

Are the Seco Crownloc drills comparable? We use the Seco, and haven't had any issues at all, until about an hour ago when I blew one up in some H-13, my coolant filters decided to not let a steady flow through and melted the drill. :(

The Seco drills i use are the perfomax. Find they don't come close to what they recommend but good edge life insert wise. Not a fan of 2 different inserts either. The mitubishi ones I had at my last shop were a lot better.

I haven't tried seco's crownloc.

I had a rep from Sandvik in the shop friday showed him the products I will be making on the new lathe and am having him put together the best tooling solution for us as we speak. Need to get a mitsubishi rep in here to do the same.

We haven't used the Seco Crownloc drill but we do use the Perfomx drill. The Perfomax drill is alot like the Sumitomo WDX drill but dont holdup as well or can do what the WDX does! As for the Seco Crownloc drill we hanven't used, 90% of our drills are Sumitomo SMD drills, these drills great! If you can, get a Sumitomo Rep. to come and show what they have.

We haven't used the Seco Crownloc drill but we do use the Perfomx drill. The Perfomax drill is alot like the Sumitomo WDX drill but dont holdup as well or can do what the WDX does! As for the Seco Crownloc drill we hanven't used, 90% of our drills are Sumitomo SMD drills, these drills great! If you can, get a Sumitomo Rep. to come and show what they have.

i would love to try these drills but I am using a tooling certificate that came with the new machine purchase and unfortunately they don't carry sumitomo . What I liked about that drill is the inserts are the same and there is 4 cutting edges for each insert where as the perfomax has 4 sides on the inside insert and only 2 on the outer.