Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OSP P3000L-R and LNS bar feeder question

I just got a new Okuma and Bar feeder powered up a month ago and still am not making chips. The support from my MTB has been a bit slow but I am not here to bitch about that. I want to know if one of you gurus can help me with the problem I have and tell me if this is a problem with the machine or a simple missing snippet of code or something in my setup

My proximity switches that send the chuck closed signal seem to be messed up and way to sensitive. If I have set so when my bar stock clamps the signal works turn the spindle on start turning. Great. But if I don't have a bar in the bar feederr won't do a bar verification check to start because it is awaiting a chuck closed signal fromn the okuma that isn't registering because the switch is out of range. Set switch no part when part is clamped won't turn on.

So I thought okay take a small piece of remninent shove it into the chuck get the bar feed ready hit start and go with a NBAR which works but everytime I get to this statement I get alarmed out

To get remininent out I put this and it works grabs a fresh bar and loads it.

NBAR

G0 X20. Z20.

M5

M84

M93 (Send push signal to barfeeder, wait for confirmation)

M83

G4 P2.0

M01

Now that my part is loaded this is where I alarm out.

NAT01

G50 IF [VWKCC[1] EQ VWKCS[120]] GOTO NEND (CHECKS TO SEE IN MAX PARTS HAS BEEN REACHED)

I don't know what that statement should be and my techs don't either so I am completely hooped. If I change that to

IF [VWKCC[1] NE VWKCS[1]] GOTO NEND (CHECKS TO SEE IN MAX PARTS HAS BEEN REACHED)

It will run but to do that I have to physically push a bar down my spindle bore before I can press cycle start which I don't think I should have to do.

Typically there is a signal (possibly a VDIN) associated with EOB signal (end of bar) that the Bar feeder sends to the CNC. That allows the Bar feed macro do decide when to just push (bar still good) or when to eject remnant and run the load/top cut portion of the program. Can you post the entire macro?

Here is what I use

(BARFEED PROGRAM)

(FOR LB-3000 MY & LNS QUICK LOAD SERVO 80)

(USES T1 SHANK Z-7.5 FROM TIP AS STOPPER ISSA 14-06-10)

(DO NOT REMOVE)

(CALL STATEMENT FROM MIN FILE CALL OFEED LEN=JOB LENGTH)

(INPUT 24 = END OF BAR)

(M436/VIRD [1516] = BAR END CHANGE AND BAR FEED FINISH)

OFEED

IF[VRSTT EQ 128]NEND (IF SEQUENCE RESTART GOTO END)

M216

IF[VDIN[24]EQ 0]NLP1(BEGIN BAR ROUTINE)

NLP6 (END OF BAR ROUTINE)

M83 (CLOSE CHUCK)

G0 X500 Z300

G97 S50 M3

M77 (PARTS CATCHER OUT)

M84 M185 (OPEN CHUCK)

IF[VORD[0016] EQ 1]NJMP (IF MACHINE LOCK JUMP INPUT)

M436 (WAIT FOR BARFEED FINISH-NEWBAR)

NJMP M83

M76 M05

M216

G00 X1000

Z500

NLP1 (NORMAL BARFEED ROUTINE)

M216

G00 X1000

Z300

G00 X1000 Z=LEN+35 T0101

G0 X-160 Z=LEN+35

VLMON [64]=3

M867 (CAS OFF)

G94 G01 Z=LEN-7.0 F3500

M84 (CHUCK OPEN)

G95

VLMON[64]=0

IF[VORD[0016] EQ 1]N1111 (IF MACHINE LOCK JUMP INPUT)

M436 (WAIT FOR FEED OUT)

IF[VDIN[24]EQ 1]NLP6 (EJECT BAR END)

M83 (CLOSE CHUCK)

N1111 G4 F1.0

G0 Z=LEN+35

M866 (CAS ON)

X1500

Z300

NEND RTS

Mr. M and Doug I have not forgotten about this I got it to run so I don't want to tinker with this thing until this order gets out. Right now I am manually loading a bar and pushing it to the z0. of my program and letting it run. It is grabbing another bar and continuing on. But my liners need to be opoened up because the bar feeder keeps getting stuck. Some material works other lengths don't. Is this a alignment issue or is it just because my liner is new my springs for the V channel arte new and strong and I just need to wear in a bit?

Tell ya one thing though when I first got into cnc back in 95 the first one I ran was a okuma mill. I haven't had a okuma in front of me since. These things are beasts and so much fun to watch run. You guys sell a wicked product.

• 2 weeks later...

If the barfeed is getting stuck and you do not have bent stock, check and confirm the barfeed is set for the right diameter. If all that is correct then seems like there may be an issue with the barfeed alignment.

I am sure the material is a bit bent. I think it is a combination of material a bit bent brand new spindle liner that needs to be worn in a bit and bar feeder alignment is out a bit because it has been cycling a lot better.

My biggest issue is with the chuck clamp and unclamp switches. My reseller is telling me I should take them off the motor drill a hole through the sheet metal and put a magnet on them to trick the machine into thinking they are doing what they are supposed to. To me this sounds like a bad idea that could possibly kill someone if a operator forgets to close the chuck before he hits cycle start. Over riding these safety switches to me sounds like a major liability.

We have a forge at work as well and the scope of our work is fasteners for industries such as hydro and trains to name a few. One job we do is a 3/4" FHCS at we form the head on the forge than we skim off the flash that is left over from the forge. This is less than a 1/16" on the diameter of the underside of the countersunk side of the head. We then skim cut the face. To load the part we use a machinist square set at a specific distance from the jaws My chuck clamp indicator on the control panel is lit and my chuck pressure is at 300psi.Somme how this part moved 3/8 of a inch.

I know this isn't a program issue because it happened on the 400th piece. I also now it isn't operator error because i was standing over the operator as he loaded it and watching him very closely because most of my labour is underskilled and this is the first job he has ran on that machine. I also have the neck where you can see where the first cut took place and when I reset and tried to figure out what is going on I could see something had changed. So I also double checked my offsets and all is good.

How much of a safety concern is this? or is there something here that I am missing?

I wouldn't advise overriding the switches. What is the clamping system on the lathe? Collets? If so I just set the switches on either side of the disc that you see in the actuator, and then they are fine. Do you have a lot of stock variation? For starting the barfeed I have just put a drop in so it reads the EOB signal and then it will automatically load the next.