Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Any problems with S3 video cards

beav700

With the S3 SavageMX graphics in Toshiba's Satellite Pro series, only one release of drivers worked with Mastercam in NT. The newest drivers would cause problems (blue screens or popups that don't disappear).

There were no problems that I remember with Win98. Win2k drivers seem ok now too.

The 8 Meg Savage MX is much faster than a 16 Meg ATI Rage Pro in a similar (but desktop) system (with Mastercam rotate/zoom/etc.).

ATI uses entirely different chips than s3.

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 03-22-2001).]

Thanks guys.

My new Toshiba Satellite 2805s is on it's way. It has S3 Savage/IX Graphics Controller with 8MB memory. Reading all the reviews, the S3/IX is two times faster on 3D stuff than ATI Mobility with 8Mb. Specially 3D games. Will still use my Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop, but only for AutoCad.

I run a Satellite Pro 4200 with an 8 meg S3 Savage IX on Windows 2000 Professional. I have had some greif with certain file's from solid modeling packages. I have been trying to dial it in on a few different "problem files". I have found that the "best" setting so far is for the graphics acceleration is 2 stops below "Full Acceleration" of the 6 possible positions. This is not perfect, however I have had the fewest "Mastercam being closed by windows" with this setting. Maybe on monday the company hardware guru will have a few minutes to shed some more light onto this for me. nudge nudge wink.gifwink.gif

Ambassador