Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc OI-MC control on Robodrill Mate???????????

Ok I am very interested in buying this used Robodrill and was told I would be able to interface a different brand rotary table with it. Then I spoke with someone else and they told me that most likely the control is not even rotory table compatable. Then someone else told me that some OI-MC controls can be rotary compatible. Can someone please tell me what is the deal with this. It is very important that it is compatable. I dont want to be stuck with a nachine that I cant put a rotary table on. Thanks

By memory, the 'full' OiMC is a 5axis control (not simultaneous) but can actually only display 4 axis on the control. If you wanted to see the 5th, you'd have to look in the pmc side (which renders it useless).

The OiMC Mate is only 3 axis control, but you can always put an indexer (M code) driven rotary to it.

I would give fanuc a bell and they will tell you where to look in the control to get the build/options, then you can give them, the numbers and they'll tell you exactly what it is.

Hopefully it is compatible as you won't regret buying it if it is.

:cheers:

By memory, the 'full' OiMC is a 5axis control (not simultaneous) but can actually only display 4 axis on the control. If you wanted to see the 5th, you'd have to look in the pmc side (which renders it useless).

The OiMC Mate is only 3 axis control, but you can always put an indexer (M code) driven rotary to it.

I would give fanuc a bell and they will tell you where to look in the control to get the build/options, then you can give them, the numbers and they'll tell you exactly what it is.

Hopefully it is compatible as you won't regret buying it if it is.

What do you mean by "full"? 4th axis ability is what I need.

I'm not worried about 5 axis at all, just 4 axis simultniuos

The BEST place to get FANUC information is from none other than the source directly;

http://www.fanuc.co.jp/en/product/catalog/pdf/cnc/Series%200i-D(E)_v05.pdf

This should answer every question you have about what it can do.

In short it controls up to 5-Axes. S1, X, Y, Z, A/B/C. That's it. Your spindle, 3 linear axes, and an optional axis. The optional axis will require an additional servo amp if one is not already installed.

The BEST place to get FANUC information is from none other than the source directly;

http://www.fanuc.co....0i-D(E)_v05.pdf

This should answer every question you have about what it can do.

In short it controls up to 5-Axes. S1, X, Y, Z, A/B/C. That's it. Your spindle, 3 linear axes, and an optional axis. The optional axis will require an additional servo amp if one is not already installed.

That pdf is for the OI-Mate control though. The control I'm talking about is the OI-MC which they dont have any info on the fanuc site, only for the OI-MD

The PDF covered both the standard and the mate. You're right though, I linked the "D". Sorry about that. I could not find a "C". There may be a difference.

Can any fanuc experts chime in? If I was forced to use an indexer, would I have any limitations on position limits or would I be able to achieve any angle? Would the M code programming be much different that using an A code?

ok the control on the top says "OI-MC" it does not say "OI-MC Mate". I should be ok than right?

This would be an assumption as ok for your application, as the mate is definitely 3axis only.

BUT, double check with fanuc by telling them board numbers etc, because these things are so configurable at the build stage.

I've only used an indexer before that you'd mechanically set for any angle you want @ 5degree increments.

So if you wanted to go 10degrees, you'd call

M100 (or whatever you have designated the index call)

M100

ie twice.

Then if you wanted to go 45 degrees, you'd call it 9 times.

Or you'd set the thing up to index 45 degrees the once, and call it once (job dependant).

This was VERY dangerous, as you had to be on your toes for prog restarts...

I don't know how the HAAS 's work (or the equivalent).

But I'd phone fanuc 1st as you can't beat an nc rotary.

And as far as I can tell all the controls I've seen that are MAtes have "Mate" written on the top yellow strip. All non-Mate controls do not have Mate written on top, it just says OI-MC on it. This is all so confusing

If you have a 4th Button it means the Operator Panel is capable of addressing an additional axis. It does not mean you have the required additional servo amp, options and connections necessary.

Take a look at the Datasheets in the Control Cabinet. It will tell you exactly what you have. It's not confusing at all. I'll say that I have never seen a "MATE" Control on a machine that was not marked (usually by the yellow strip above the screen). Anecdotal? Probably, but I've seen well over 10,000 different machines in my career and 95%+ have been FANUC Controls.

As far as the restriction on angles on an indexer, your restriction will be on the encoder, not the control.

Bottom line is, get the Datasheets in hand, call FANUC and ask them about the restrictions of adding another axis to your FANUC 0i controlled RoboDrill. They'll be able to give you the straight $#!+. I have seen FANUC DDR Rotary Tables on Oi-MD machines recently. You just have to have the hardware. Yours being a "C". I'd call FANUC.

As far as Methods telling you that you cannot; a little background, that RoboDrill was about $40,000 new - installed. I hate to break it to you this way but you're not going to get a lot of attention from them on an used $40k machine. You're just not. They've got WAY bigger fish to fry.

You're welcome. I hope I was at least somewhat helpful.

Good luck. If that machine is a Black RoboDrill Mate... That was an AWESOME machine.,it has more torque than a standard RoboDrill. I took a 20mm 3 flute insert end mill 1/2" width of cut .060" deep at 35IPM in D2 tool steel and it sounded REAL good. Made me a believer in 30 Taper Machines. It's all about cutting strategy. You will be real happy with that machine.

You're welcome. I hope I was at least somewhat helpful.

Good luck. If that machine is a Black RoboDrill Mate... That was an AWESOME machine.,it has more torque than a standard RoboDrill. I took a 20mm 3 flute insert end mill 1/2" width of cut .060" deep at 35IPM in D2 tool steel and it sounded REAL good. Made me a believer in 30 Taper Machines. It's all about cutting strategy. You will be real happy with that machine.

Oh don't you worry, I am the speed master. I currently have one of those Fadec umc-10's and I'm running things faster than 90% of the machinist I've seen could do in there dreams.

So what do you think of the FADEC?

Absolutly loving it. Its twice the machine I was expecting it to be. Been running the s#@$ out of it and its still going strong. I figured with only 3hp it I wouldnt be able to push it very hard but it takes whatever I through at it. I cut mostly aluminum and light steel though.

MC control then?

Maybe worth checking if it has a face and taper (BBT) spindle and alpha drives/motors as well :D

And nowt wrong with worrying before things happen - prepare for the worse but hope for the best

At this point I would be happy if it was coming with stepper motors! lol!!