Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC Software solutions

Just wondering what software and hardware configurations people are running for sending programs back and forth from the machines to the computer. They currently use a switch here with Cimco Edit but a lot of time is spent walking back and forth to send/ recieve. I looked at the CIMCO DNC Max teaming it with a ethernet hub and like the ability to call the program directly from the machine to recieve and no prep is needed at the computer to punch but it is fairly pricy when you buy all the required extra ports for it. (we have 16 machines here). The other plus to using Cimco is people are use to the UI. I should add that 99% of the programs here are small enough that machine memory isn't a problem and programs will be uploaded to the control and then ran through memory as opposed to drip feeding.

Guest MTB Technical Services

Since you already have Cimco, get setup with a full Cimco-DNC-Max setup.

You can have all the machines setup to do a remote request.

You won't be sorry.

Predator DNC will do the same thing.

Both also have full wireless capability.

Both also have PDM software for managing the CNC files.

From a quality and service standpoint, you can't go wrong with either.

Cimco DNC Max with an Nport server isn't that pricey. I echo what Tim says above. Also, add up the time saved by not having to walk backward and forwards to the switch to select the send/receive. You'll make that back in no time :)

We run Cimco DNC Max and it works flawlessly. It even emails me when an operator uploads a file.

We have 30+ machines wireless with DNCMax and it has been absolutely bulletproof for over ten years (five or so with CAT5 and five or so wireless). Our operators have no idea what the UI looks like because they don't see it; remote send and receive all day.

We have been looking at this situation also. Some of the machines are older and either you can't select the characters in the program name because they aren't available, or it is a total PITA to do so. We have proven programs in one location and unproven in another. We started with Cimco and have been looking at adding ports because they are already wired, using the switch box, but the file name thing may cause a stumble.

What are any of you using for program names and have you always used "O" numbers or do you now?

The program name you use can be completely unrelated to the program number that the machine sees, at least for Fanuc / Yasnac / Haas. All of our Fanuc programs are O0001 to the machines, but have names like 7361343AT51. The "(PROG#" statement in the program tells the DNC what name to use when it saves the file.

%

:0001(7361343)

(PROG# 7361343AT51)

(50 HDI C/S NABTESCO)

(7361343AT51)

(REV A CDM)

(01-17-2014)

(TURN TO SKETCH ONE)

(OP 20)

( )

We used remote request with a Fanuc 6M, but needed to simplify some of the program names because of the character limitations you spoke of. The newer controls have no issues.

C

WIth file management do you guys do sort them by machine or specialized file names. One of the concerns my bosses have is that if we post for a haas the first time but next time the job is run that we than post it to our mori and back and forth. I know it is easily enough to keep apart by setting up your directories as to where things post and what folder. I am wondering what people have found the easiest. Right now there is no rhyme or reason to how programs got numbered and with as many legacy programs as I have here (keep in mind the file name is different for each part but not for each machine.

In the past I have always used seperate folders based on machine and than all programs were sequential with part number following the O# and we never had a problem per say other than human error.

^^^^^ I absolutely get what you are saying. Our situation is similar and per my previous post the toughest part is getting the machine to put the ":" in the name for where they are looking. The colon required causes the most trouble, for us anyway. So we are looking at renaming files or whatever we need to do so it works.

We have folders for each machine / group of similar machines, and those are the only folders that the relevant machines can see. We have identifiers in the program name to help us understand what is what. 7361343AT51 has 7361343 (P/N) A (1st operation) T51 (Machine); 7361343BACT4 would be for the second operation, in the ACT-4.

C