Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiaxis CircleMill toolpath question

kool

Guest MTB Technical Services

Wow, that's weird.

I have never seen that.

Even though you have it set to only use the tool in the part file, the check to create standard sizes only is still checked.

Try disabling it and then setting it back to just the tools in the part file.

What parameters are you using for your hole detection?

I had to drill and tap 114 holes, each one had a unique vector. Programing would have been a nightmare. After reading up on FBD it took a whold day to get it to actually work but it worked beautifully. There was a left and right hand part so even better. That was my one and only time using it and it was in X4 or X5. It works so well but the hoops you have to jump through to get it to work really suck.  It could be a really awesome tool path if they could make it user friendly. I was hoping that would have happened by X8 but it doesn't seem to have.

bogusmill,

Drill 5axis would have been perfect for that. You just have to create points and use your surface as a guide to automatically create the vectors for you assuming all your holes are on one surface. Or you could use Solids/Hole-Axis to create the vectors and points and uses the lines and points options to control the tool axis.

This is what I have been using up until now.

I had to drill and tap 114 holes, each one had a unique vector. Programing would have been a nightmare. After reading up on FBD it took a whold day to get it to actually work but it worked beautifully. There was a left and right hand part so even better. That was my one and only time using it and it was in X4 or X5. It works so well but the hoops you have to jump through to get it to work really suck.  It could be a really awesome tool path if they could make it user friendly. I was hoping that would have happened by X8 but it doesn't seem to have.

It took me a little bit of getting used to but now I'm used to the quirks.

What would be very helpful is better sorting options.

All in all, FBM for drilling and boring has been a huge time saver for me.

Way more efficient that having to use hole axis tools and 5-axis drilling.

I haven't seen the problems with Circle Milling that mcpgmr reported.

Definitely has Bugs in X7. It's FUBAR no matter what I do. Conventional, Climb, Start from center you name it. I might trust it for drilling but that's it! :(

I haven't seen the problem that you reported.

I would suspect that you might have some kind of MC setting pooched.

Don't know what could be causing this.

At the very least, you now have the planes available for doing a standard circle mill.

Are you using X7 MU2?

• 2 weeks later...

Well we found a bandaid for this that helps. Once the operations are assembled, Edit the parameters of the first child operation and turn on transitions and set the lead in/out and the overlap. Then regenerate that op. Right click on the parameters of that op and drag it to the next op. Easier then opening each op up and turning on transitions etc... Do that to each operation and regenerate them when finished. Only downside to this method is that if you change the paren operation then it recreates all the child operations and you have to go back in and repeat the process that I just explained.