Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma tailstock LB4000 EX

So I have a couple LB4000's here. They all have a servo tailstock, is there a way to use the tailstock as a additional axis?  Ive tried using it to get into position BUT the machine is looking for feedback on pressure from the livecenter in position.  Is there anyone using it as a axis? Maybe as a drilling axis?  I want to add a air driven tool to the tailstock saddle & just position it in the Z-axis(W).  I looked through the PLC to just force the switch on but no luck. There are like 10K of I/O signals.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to help you, but if it does not work, I'II check tomorrow at the shop to be sure, because  I use the tailstock as a part catcher.

You have to put your tailstock in retract position so it will not  look for feedback on pressure ...check the codes below and try to do a simple program to do what you want...

Try this but not sure :

M156

M55

M166

Program line here

M847

M157

END

Specify M codes to operate tailstock in the automatic operation mode. Teaching mode needs to be
off when an M code is specified.
M56 ...... Tailstock sizing position command
M55 ...... Tailstock retract position command
M847 ...... Tailstock retraction end position command (home)

and then.....

M156, M157 (center work interlock ON, OFF)
When center work is selected, operation is possible only when the tailstock spindle is at the
predetermined position. For chuck work, the tailstock spindle must be at the retract end
position. These M codes are used to cancel the interlock function

M166, M167 (tailstock spindle advance/retract interlock during spindle rotation ON, OFF)
To ensure safety, the tailstock spindle cannot normally be advanced or retracted while the
spindle is rotating. However, tailstock spindle operation is permitted even while the spindle is
rotating by turning OFF the interlock.

Just looked at my notes and here's 2 sub that you can call to bring the tailstock in position (no pressure), and retract it.

You have to set your retract position first. (check in the manual), hope it works for you, let me know !

For tailstock advance:

CALL OTIN  (Call sub OTIN)

OTIN 

VCHSW=1   (Center work ON)

M847           (Home tailstock)

M55             (tailstock in retract position)

M166           (ignoring tailstock spindle advance/retract interlock off).

VCHSW=0  (chuck work)

G4F2           (pause)

RTS             (return to main program)

For tailstock retract:

CALL OTOUT (call sub OTOUT)

OTOUT

VCHSW=1  (center work ON)

M847           (Home tailstock)

VCHSW=0  (chuck work)

G4F2           (pause)

RTS             (return to main program)