Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc #200 - #499 Variables

Why are variables #200 - #499 hidden. I know that I can un-hides these by changing a parameter. But I was wondering why there made hidden. Is the controller using these to store information in,  Or are they usable, and are meant to keep smart people from changing information.

I'm running out of numbers and might need to use these.

I have often wondered the same thing. Can never have too many variables. As an aside, I believe I saw on here somewhere that people were making use of unused tool or fixture offsets as variables but I haven't attempted to do so myself. 

Why are variables #200 - #499 hidden. I know that I can un-hides these by changing a parameter. But I was wondering why there made hidden. Is the controller using these to store information in,  Or are they usable, and are meant to keep smart people from changing information.

I'm running out of numbers and might need to use these.

Need to check with the builder and make sure the parameters are not needed for some other functions. Last thing you want to do it start messing with some machine variables and crash it.

i could be wrong, but i have never seen macros 150-499 available from any vendor.  On our new machines we have 600-899 available.  

I will re-quote myself.

Need to check with the builder and make sure the parameters are not needed for some other functions. Last thing you want to do it start messing with some machine variables and crash it.

What would hurt in making sure verses assuming and tearing something up?

Ron, maybe we started off on the wrong foot here.  My name is Trung, nice to meet you.  Maybe I should be a little bit more articulate with my posts.

I've never seen the ability to unlock macro variables 200-499,  i would be cautious to use those numbers because its not documented in any of the fanuc manuals ive seen.  30i Manual states 1-33 as local and 100-199 as volatile when control is powered down.  500+ will stay in controls even when powered down. 200-499 is not documented and i would not risk it.   In the past when we inquired about adding more macro variables on the machines from doosan,  200-499 is not an option.  On at least one machine that had very limited space, it just forced me to write more efficient code and we were able to get by that way.

TLDR;  I wouldn't do it.  If you need more, ask your tool machine vendor or challenge yourself to write more efficient code 

Ron, maybe we started off on the wrong foot here.  My name is Trung, nice to meet you.  Maybe I should be a little bit more articulate with my posts.

I've never seen the ability to unlock macro variables 200-499,  i would be cautious to use those numbers because its not documented in any of the fanuc manuals ive seen.  30i Manual states 1-33 as local and 100-199 as volatile when control is powered down.  500+ will stay in controls even when powered down. 200-499 is not documented and i would not risk it.   In the past when we inquired about adding more macro variables on the machines from doosan,  200-499 is not an option.  On at least one machine that had very limited space, it just forced me to write more efficient code and we were able to get by that way.

TLDR;  I wouldn't do it.  If you need more, ask your tool machine vendor or challenge yourself to write more efficient code 

Trung, nice to meet you and I know how to see those variables. If someone with my limited abilities can figure it out then I am thinking maybe someone else could do that as well. You make very good points in your 2nd response and I was not trying to slam or be dismissive about your 1st response and sorry if it came across that way. You are correct in thinking write more efficient code, but with the newer ways to remove material efficient programming do not always mean it will be considered efficient programs if the machine is and older machine with limited memory. Not the case here, but I am very careful to make blanket statements. I couldn't develop the same thought I have now about your process from "have never seen macros 150-499 available from any vendor". I did come up with a better understanding from your 2nd statement and thank you for proving at least me with that.

Have a great weekend. :D

I'm asking because on some of our jobs we are running out of number. All of our programs are controlled by macros. These programs run in a very large 5 axis CBN Grinder, with milling capabilities. That we take full advantage of.

We control the depth of cut, speeds, feeds, tool life counters, wheel life counters, Renishaw Probe programs, control set up programs, and etc....

The tool builder uses system variables  #10.., and a limited number of #900 variables for the tool changer.

What I want to know is, does the Fanuc controller use these numbers for storing can cycle info, trig calculation and etc....