Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do I chamfer this?

jeff

I keep getting an error saying "angle between faces varies, cannot chamfer"

I need to put a .0275" chamfer on the blue edges of the spline teeth.

The part gets chamfered all the way around,I just created curves in light blue for ease of seeing which edges I need chamfers on.

I've tried solids/chamfer/one distance/edge without success.

Thanks.

XXX.MCX-5

The problem is basically that what you are after will be a swept surface with a constantly changing angle create by the cone angle of the part.

Given the Cone angle on the face of the tooth, in order to maintain a given chamfer width over the length of the tooth will require the chamfer angle to change approx. .2 degrees .. if I were to have to do this I would create points at the endpoints of the top and bottom of the tooth, do some math and rotate/copy them around the conical face at the top and bottom of the spline tooth .0275 (they will rotate different amounts angularly in order to go .0275 because the diameters are different at the top vs. at the bottom of the tooth), then translate/copy them along the length of the tooth .0275

Now you should have 4 points that are the four corners of your surface, create some lines and create a swept surface and you can them make a flowline toolpath to cut that swept surface..

• Like 1

And yeah .. I get these all the time with that exact comment.. lol.. and sure.. you could probably fudge it with some messing around.. but in reality its often harder to fudge something in than it is to create the proper geometry to do it..

At least for me.. I would rather know its correct before getting it in the machine.. than risk screwing up a part for a lead in ..

• Like 1