Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dnc works on one computer but not the other

david

Having troubles with sending programs from one of our computers and was hoping that someone could relate.

We have our 2 computers set up side by side and for some reason our newer one(about a year and a half old now), has trouble sending programs to the mill that we do our 3d work on. The new computer communicates sometimes without giving an alarm(parity not set right). I have opened both screens to control panel-system- com1 & com2 properties and set them the same. I have also set MC screen-configure-communications to the same settings. We use cncedit to send programs to the mills and wire machines. I have also opened the setup window in the cncedit for each port on each computer to verify that each have the same settings. The newer computer sends programs just fine to one our mills and both of the wire machines without a problem. I have also took the cable that plugs into com2 from the older computer thats works and plugged it into the newer computers com2 without any luck sending programs.

I think I have eliminated any cable trouble by switching the cables. The strange thing is that once in a while the newer computer will send a few programs correctly. Go figure.

A computer shop in town suggested disabling windows from powering down after a preset time, did that, didn't work. They suggested deleting and reformating the hard drive and then reloading windows( yikes).

Using version 7.2 with an Okuma VMC.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you much,

David

now let me see again you can not send any programs from the new computer at all or to a few but not all?

on the new one have you tryed sending thru the other port com1..

all so try uesing the standerd mastercam commucations on the new one..

check the port settings in the OS port settings.

just fast thoughts. cadcam

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

Thank you for your responses. I will try to respond to all replies. I have set the fifo transmit buffers everywhere between 1 - 16, no luck. We can use either computer to transmit nc programs. The new and old computers each use com2 for the mill that we do dnc milling. On the new computer I kave switched the cable and settings from com2 to com1, no luck transmitting dnc. On the new computer we can send nc programs to the other cnc machines with no trouble(none have dnc capabilities). Settings at the machine for dnc is set for baud-9600,

parity-none, stop bits-1. Settings have been duplicated on the computers. I get the same alarm at the machine by sending the nc program, file, next menu, communicate. I set the baud, parity and stop bits to the same settings, again no luck.

The new computer has a faster processor in it, would that matter?

First of all, always try receiving a program from the controller to the PC first.

PC's are less fussy than controllers. At the same time you will notice if any special characters are being transmitted.

Try another communication program that will allow better handshaking ... like Cimco Edit supplied with Mastercam.

Try using the DTR/RTS switch. Is your cabling wired for hardware handshaking or are you using XON/XOFF?

Try a % sign at the start of the program.

Luc