Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Which 5axes to choose.....

I would lean towards the Alzmettall and the Hermle. Both machines are built very solid and you can get the Heidenhain control on either one. In my opinion, the Heidenhain is the best control going. It may seem weird at first if you are living in a Fanuc world, but it's conversational programming is graphical and very straight foward.

Also....since you are looking at a 5 axis machine, the plane functionality and tool center point control has been a strong point of the control long before Fanuc even considered it. Siemens also has had this functionality long before Fanuc, but in my opinion Heidenhain has more of a straight foward implementation of it.

In North America, Hermle has more of a foothold then Alzmettall, which I'm guessing most people here has never heard of, so that may sway your thinking.

Thanks for your comments, the departement near mine as an Hermle and I only had the training on it and it is a great machine, it has the seimens control, did try Heidenhain on a PC and found Siemens easier to learn.

On something like a control, I consider SUPPORT to be paramount. What good are all the bells and whistles if there's nobody to call (or nobody to come to your facility) when you're trying to learn how to use the functions properly? Not calling any control mfr. out in particular, that's just something I wholeheartedly believe in. I've had less than abysmal support from a certain control mfr. that makes 5-Axis superiority a claim to fame.

I won't name here :D in this instance. :rofl:  

Don't they all make that claim? Much like CAM systems??

I can only think of two claims that FANUC makes and they are unrefutable; 1) they are THE MOST reliable CNC Controls on the market and 2) they have the highest market share CNC Control.

Avoid Mazak.

Mazak is Japanese for 'Boat Anchor'. ;%29.gif

Avoid DMG/Mori at all costs.

They try to be all things to all people and it shows in the quality of the machine.

Makino all the way.

I´d consider the Hermle and the Alzmetall as well. 

The trio Makino, Hermle and Alzmetall are the only group that belongs to the same seed in your list. Mazak and DMG are not for big names looking for quality and good service.

• Like 1