Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Network Issues and permissions

A Beneteau

Hello all,

We have a unique problem on our educational network. Students have limited access to resources on our network. Problem is whenever they try get libraries or access configuration files during normal operation of MC9SP1 they get an error. We cannot give them local login to the machine (got in trouble for that) so now Im stuck. Anyone have any suggestions or similar problems?

Thanks

Andre

London, Ontario

Yeah, I do this sort of thing all the time.

Here are some ways I have solved the problem in the past:

- Change the permissions on the MCAM9 directory to Modify for the group the student accounts are in. Best and cheapest solution. If these are Win2K or newer stations attached to a Win2K or newer server, this can be done very easily using Active Directory Policies. If your IT department and/or your local reseller are unfamilar with the process, have your MasterCAM Educaitonal Reseller contact me and I'll walk 'em through it. Or I could generate a batch file that will make the change for you over the network if AD Policies are not an option.

- Put all the library and whatnot files in a shared folder on the network that is mapped to a drive letter. Give the students Modify rights to that shared folder. Slows things down a bit, but gives you one place to post modified tool and operation library files. Make sure to have a backup copy of those files to restore from, as if a student breaks it, it will be broken on all stations. I can put together a sample .CFG file that will do the job for you, along with a script that will propigate the .CFG file to all the stations in your classroom.

- Get Deep Freeze and install it on the student stations. Have the students save thier work to thier server-based home directory, and give 'em full rights to everyting on the local machine. Deep Freeze keeps any changes made to the local machine from being perminant. The downside is that it costs ~$20.00 per station.