Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surfacing With Extra Long Tools

Hi I have some tools to machine that are very very deep. Longest I have to do is going to be 8" of stickout with a 7/8 inserted ballnose. Material I'm machining is A2. That 8 deep length has straight verticle walls to machine all the way down. I'm doing this work on a 3 axis 40 taper mill...

Any suggestions on amount of material to leave for finishing, speeds\feeds or depths of cut would be greatly appreciated. I know there is no good way to do this, but I have no choice... :thumbdown:

You could possibly plunge mill the whole thing with a long standard end mill and then go back with the ball end mill. Typically I have always left .005 on my surfaces for finish but I have never done anything that you are describing. A pic would help out a lot so we can steer you in the right direction.

• Like 1

The bigger the tool, the better.  Make sure to grind a relief  behind the flutes so it doesn't rub on the vertical walls.  I'd leave at least .01, sometimes leaving more material gives the long tool a bit more support(hard to explain, I know what I mean), too little material and it will want to bounce off the wall, specially with harder materials.  Speeds and feeds?  I dont know, but I wouldn't spin too fast, it will create more chatter.

Esteban Muller on Instagram_ “No sweat, right_ SMH!”.html

• Like 1

I've been working my way through some of this stuff... Fun times. Worst so far was a bunch of surfacing with a 3/4 ball that had 6.5" stickout. Turned out ok.  Just got a couple custom long 10" ballnose bodies, with slightly smaller shanks from sterling edge so I can get all the way down some of these walls.