Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT/ Virus mystery solved

Tony

Hello

This morning I / We figured out

How My Home pc has been Mass mailing

Hundreds of people We don't even Know.

I ran live update and it said there

isnt a virus on the box.

the next morning Again We mass mailed another 500 people!

It ends up It all started with a Kiss...

a virtual kiss ,To get your kiss

password changed...Done

(My wife or my daughter)?!

Know one is fessing up!

[ 01-16-2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Tony ]

Tony !

If you have weak administrator password ,

everybody can get to your hard drives and printers using system share $ like C$

I know a couple of viruses using this feature

When you get access to the system drive U have a lot of ways to do harm.

A qoute from windowzer help :

quote:

Special shared folders

Depending on the configuration of your computer, some or all of the following special shared folders are automatically created by Windows 2000 for administrative and system use. These shared folders are not visible from My Computer, but can be viewed using the Shared Folders snap-in. In most cases, special shared folders should not be deleted or modified.

drive letter$

A shared folder that allows administrative personnel to connect to the root directory of a drive. Shown as A$, B$, C$, D$, and so on. For example, D$ is a shared folder name by which drive D might be accessed by an administrator over the network.

For a Windows 2000 Professional computer, only members of the Administrators or Backup Operators group can connect to these shared folders. For a Windows 2000 Server computer, members of the Server Operators group can also connect to these shared folders.

ADMIN$

A resource used by the system during remote administration of a computer. The path of this resource is always the path to the Windows 2000 system root (the directory in which Windows 2000 is installed: for example, C:Winnt).

IPC$

A resource sharing the named pipes that are essential for communication between programs. It is used during remote administration of a computer and when viewing a computer's shared resources.

PRINT$

A resource used during remote administration of printers.

NETLOGON

A resource used by the Net Logon service of a Windows 2000 Server computer while processing domain logon requests.

This resource is provided only for Windows 2000 Server computers. It is not provided for Windows 2000 Professional computers.

FAX$

A shared folder on a server used by fax clients in the process of sending a fax. The shared folder is used to temporarily cache files and access cover pages stored on the server.

Special shared folders

Depending on the configuration of your computer, some or all of the following special shared folders are automatically created by Windows 2000 for administrative and system use. These shared folders are not visible from My Computer, but can be viewed using the Shared Folders snap-in. In most cases, special shared folders should not be deleted or modified.

drive letter$

A shared folder that allows administrative personnel to connect to the root directory of a drive. Shown as A$, B$, C$, D$, and so on. For example, D$ is a shared folder name by which drive D might be accessed by an administrator over the network.

For a Windows 2000 Professional computer, only members of the Administrators or Backup Operators group can connect to these shared folders. For a Windows 2000 Server computer, members of the Server Operators group can also connect to these shared folders.

ADMIN$

A resource used by the system during remote administration of a computer. The path of this resource is always the path to the Windows 2000 system root (the directory in which Windows 2000 is installed: for example, C:Winnt).

IPC$

A resource sharing the named pipes that are essential for communication between programs. It is used during remote administration of a computer and when viewing a computer's shared resources.

PRINT$

A resource used during remote administration of printers.

NETLOGON

A resource used by the Net Logon service of a Windows 2000 Server computer while processing domain logon requests.

This resource is provided only for Windows 2000 Server computers. It is not provided for Windows 2000 Professional computers.

FAX$

A shared folder on a server used by fax clients in the process of sending a fax. The shared folder is used to temporarily cache files and access cover pages stored on the server.