Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SS 304 Drilling

Welcome to the forum.

Good quality carbide drill = self centreing and through tool coolant.

60metres/min for speed

300mm/min for feed

Good coolant - 10% mix

I'd peck drill 6mm peck

You may need to fully retract each peck to allow for coolant to get in there etc?

If you're using something like a YG dream drill, I'd expect to drill all holes with the one drill.

If you're having issues, I'm assuming the material is good quality?

HTH

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I run the mits mws solid carbid drills with thru coolant. Idk how cnc chip maker is getting 400 sfm but that is way to hot. i run around 190 sfm that with 1000 psi thru coolant and some drill ive seen up to 2500 inches of solid 304/316 on one drill.

IDK either. Using Walter's GPS program, if I set it to have utter disregard for drill life, 257SFM is as fast as it will let me go. Drill life at 200SFM is 1890 holes, at 257SFM, it drops to 548 holes.

I am an unapologetic Walter fanboy. There might be better drills out there, but their GPS program is the bees knees for dummies like me. We just finished drilling some .250" holes, 3" deep in 52Rc H-13. About a minute per hole. GPS said the drill was good for 13.8 holes, I needed 15. Drilled 12, still looked good. Drilled the last 3 without incident. Saved a TON of EDM time.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum.

Good quality carbide drill = self centreing and through tool coolant.

60metres/min for speed

300mm/min for feed

Good coolant - 10% mix

I'd peck drill 6mm peck

You may need to fully retract each peck to allow for coolant to get in there etc?

If you're using something like a YG dream drill, I'd expect to drill all holes with the one drill.

If you're having issues, I'm assuming the material is good quality?

HTH

What's this Meters per minute of what you speak.....  :headscratch:

Get with the program..Imperial rulz!  :p