Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-axis Programming

BrankoPMP

Hello,

I haven't used many 5 axis toolpaths aside from swarf and curve, mainly because I haven't had the need to.  I now need to machine the part below and am having a pretty hard time trying to figure out what the toolpaths want in order to work the way I want it to.  All I want to do is kick my tool at approx 20° and just surface it from top to bottom, acting almost as a rotary function.  I'm not having much success at this point.  I got swarf milling to sort of do what I want, but it won't let me kick the tool at a different angle because I think that toolpath wants the tool to be parallel to the surface.

-Mastercam 2017

-Siemens control (DMU50)

Any input is appreciated!

EDIT: removed pics.  Question answered.

Use Morph.  Create two bounding flat surfaces top and bottom then select the surfaces you want to machine.  Pay attention to surface normal's.  I have found surfaces to be a bit more reliable than curves for morph.   Then either use tilt a way as a collision strategy, or preferably create a circle above the part and use from chain as the tilt strategy.  Make it bigger or smaller to change the angle.  Should produce a decently smooth result.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Use Morph.  Create two bounding flat surfaces top and bottom then select the surfaces you want to machine.  Pay attention to surface normal's.  I have found surfaces to be a bit more reliable than curves for morph.   Then either use tilt a way as a collision strategy, or preferably create a circle above the part and use from chain as the tilt strategy.  Make it bigger or smaller to change the angle.  Should produce a decently smooth result.

Thank you!  That pretty much gave me what I was looking for.

Welcome BrankoPNP.

You will find that there are many ways to do something so don't hesitate to ask. :yes

You could also use Multiaxis Curve and simply enter a lag /lead angle or a side tilt angle in the Tool Axis Control parameters if you want the tool to tilt away from the surface.

I use that all the time and it's usually clean and simple.

Morph works well too, as do several other approaches. You will learn much by trial and error, so don't be afraid to experiment with any toolpath in CAD space. 

Good luck!  :cheers:

18 hours ago, Jim at Gentex said:

Welcome BrankoPNP.

You will find that there are many ways to do something so don't hesitate to ask. :yes

You could also use Multiaxis Curve and simply enter a lag /lead angle or a side tilt angle in the Tool Axis Control parameters if you want the tool to tilt away from the surface.

I use that all the time and it's usually clean and simple.

Morph works well too, as do several other approaches. You will learn much by trial and error, so don't be afraid to experiment with any toolpath in CAD space. 

Good luck!  :cheers:

Thank you sir.  Will def take some trial and error to understand what/how the 5 axis toolpaths wants to see geometry, but I know it will slowly start coming together just like the 2d and 3d toolpaths did overtime. :)  Wish we had more parts that required true 5 axis toolpaths though as opposed to just positioning <_<