Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ATI & Mastercam Explained

DC Gorn

quote:

It patches nVidia OpenGL driver and makes windows recognize it as a quadro.

Which is easy as modifying a line in a driver's INF file from "GeForce" to "Quadro" or "BullinesForce".

Soft-mod apps are a lot of smoke 'n' mirrors. Hence the soft-modded cards, while faster than non-soft-modded cards, still aren't the real card. Because, as I've stated before, there are real physical differences between a GeForce and a Quadro. Same thing goes for Radeon and FireGL cards.

The "hidden" settings you mention aren't really hidden. Realize that the GeForce and Quadro cards use the exact same driver. For features that don't work well with GeForce, nVIDIA disables them. You can enable those features with soft-mod apps because it's the exact same driver.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rtfaq.gif part of agreement you must agree to before installing an ati driver:

"2. Restrictions. The Software contains copyrighted and patented material, trade secrets and other proprietary material. In order to protect them, and except as permitted by applicable legislation, you may not:

a) decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form "

so isnt altering drivers breaking the software agreement with ati?

dont get me wrong i really dont care..i would convert mine into something better if i had the time to figure it all out. it really burns my xxxx that i replaced my nvidea with a 9600 thinking it would be an upgrade but now my cad programs are buggy and slower than before...because ati disables open gl without telling the buyer.

james my name is michael burke and i am from vancouver bc..now cmere and gimme a man hug

Funny I just downloaded drivers unzipped them to the ATI dir then went to the control panel,system,hardware, device managment, Video, propertys, Update divers. Point to the updated drivers and said done. Only thing that came up was the question. Would you like to reboot now? Sure you didnt install a control panel or something? But I am doing ATI and man it works great! I might replace my nvidia at work with a 9800 XT then convert it to a FireGL X2! Should have known, Canada. He is just looking for a fight so he can hit you with a hockey stick.

i get that from using the driver installer downloaded from ati site....the noob method of installing drivers. do firegl cards work well in mastercam? was looking at a FireGL Z1-128M but i saw in another forum people had many problems in some other software.

radeon pro 9600 128 mb = what pro cad card??

Sorry i can't give you any other info. All I know is my 9700 was almost unusable in mastercam before the convertion. I am error less now. It also runs great in Solidworks. There is even a Solidwork approved drivers and a Solidworks mode in the drivers I have. I have a friend that use the X1 with ProE and loves it.... thats all I know.

so isnt altering drivers breaking the software agreement with ati?

you aren't essentialy altering the drivers but modifying registry entries and patching around limitations imposed by the drivers code. Since the drivers aren't modified in anyway you aren't essentially breaking ati's agreement.

Bullines... I agree with you - most of what I posted only applies to the ati cards - nvidia has 'cleaned up' their act and actually made different cards in respect to the quadro and geforce. Although you can get the geforce to run the quadro driver - the performance gain isn't comparable.