Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Editing lathe tools

Philcott

Hi all,

I have done quite a lot of editing tools using "edit tool" inside the tool manager. I have run into something I have not tried before and am stumped. I have edited an existing turning tool as far as I can using the editor and I now need to make some changes that I can not figure out how to do in the editor. Can the tools be called up as .mc9 edited and then resaved into the tool library?

I have checked the help files with no success.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil,

When in Lathe, tools can be saved as geometry files or on a specific Level (layer). This allows the user to modify the existing geometry for the tool in any way they see fit. You can create custom tools by drawing them in Mcam and saving them to the Tools folder. Try to keep the colors the same as the holder and insert colors used already for current tools in Lathe (#55 insert, #116 holder). Also a radius is a must for any cutting area on the insert. Both holder and insert profiles need to be closed. HTH cheers.gif

Peter,

How do I open up a tool as a geometry (.MC9) file so I can edit it? If I to c:mcam9lathetoolsand then click on Ltool.TL9 I get Warning: file of directory not found. Do I have to convert the file to a .mc9 file first or what?

Thanks,

Phil

Chris,

I am ringing you right now.

Phil

Phil,

In Lathe Tools definition dialog, on right side are a few buttons. One says "Draw tool..." When this is clicked it will show the insert and holder. On left menu there are three options. File save (save tool as .MC9), Level save (save geometry on specified Level), and Continue. Continue brings you back to Lathe Tools definition.

You could also create the geometry of the holder and insert profiles and save it as a .MC9 in the C:Mcam9LatheTools folder. The .TL9 is the library file and you would only be able to access it from either the NC Utilities menu or Job Setup "Lathe Tools" button. HTH

BTW Phil. You could call me at the office as well. It'd be about the same cost as calling Chris, although he's more animated than I am. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Suggustion on drawing the tool:

(some body wrote them before)

Select a holder that has (roughly) the dims needed for the job.

Click on 'Draw Tool' and select 'File Save' from the screen menu.

Select the insert you want and a holder that holds it in the correct position.

Click on 'Draw Tool' and select 'File Save'

Merge the two files, delete the lines that you don't need.

save it as the .MC9 file that your custom tool is based on.

make sure you have:

Insert corner radius

Insert width for grooving/parting tools.

Compensation type

some Lathe custom tool geometry rules:

There must be separate planar closed boundaries for the insert and holder drawn in the Top view.

The boundaries must consist of lines and arcs only.

The insert and holder geometry must be different colors

There must be no other geometry in the file.

It works for me every single time

Phil,

You would need to define the tool in your current tool list or create a custom tool and use the .MC9 file for the shape. Then you can Save that tool in any library you like, by clicking on the "Save to Library" button on the right side of the Lathe Tools definition dialog. HTH

Phil,

This may save you a phone call...

To create a custom tool from an existing tool in your library, which you can then save back to your tool library:

1. Start with a 'clean database' File -> New

2. NC Utils -> Define Tools -> Current

3. Right click -> Get tool from library -> Get your existing tool

4. Right-click on the tool and select Draw tool

5. Select Level save and save the tool geometry to level 1

6. Exit the tool manager and edit the tool geometry. The holder and insert boundaries must be closed. Use the existing insert and holder

colours for any new geometry. Make sure ALL geometry is on level 1.

7. NC Utils -> Define Tools -> Current (again)

8. Right click and select Create new tool

9. Select Custom

10. On the Geometry tab page select the Level radio button and select level 1.

11. Set the other tool parameters as required and click on OK.

You should now have 2 tools defined. Give the new tool a different name than the original one!

12. Right click on the tool and select Save tool(s) to library.

You have just added a custom tool to your tool library!

I hope this helps you out...

• 10 years later...