Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SolidWorks 2015 - X8 update4 "part file could not be loaded"

rsbeadle

Hello

I am having issues getting SolidWorks 2015 parts to come into MasterCam X8 Update 4 when I select the "import history tree" option in MasterCam. The same file from Solidworks 2014 comes in fine. When I open the file in 2015 and save it MasterCam gives me the "part file could not be loaded" box. The part comes in when the import history tree box is unchecked, but there are some sketches I want to come in with the file as well. I searched this problem and most of the results are for the "cannot find parasolid data in SolidWorks file" error.  If anyone could point me to a solution I would greatly appreciate it.

Hmm, I don't typically bring in the feature tree but wanted to try it and see....

Came in fine on my end, I am running SW2015 SP2 and X8 Update 4

2015-03-04_14-31-27_zpshp4qhr65.png

Maybe try the re-registering the .dll see if it works?

I updated my solidworks 2015 to sp2 and it worked. I think the issue is that I have SW2014 and SW2015 installed on my computer. Before the update I think Mastercam was trying to open the 2015 file with 2014. At first I was getting a "solidworks 2014 has crashed" error. I thought it was the .dll issue so I re-registered it. After the re-register I got the "part file cannot be loaded" error. But after updating Solidworks it must have straightened everything out.  Thanks for looking into it.

"...I think the issue is that I have SW2014 and SW2015 installed on my computer. Before the update I think Mastercam was trying to open the 2015 file with 2014..."

That sounds like a likely scenario based on how this works.

The "cannot open file" message was coming from SolidWorks. The "Import History" functionality has to open the part in SW behind-the-scenes in order to cycle through the features. And if its a SW2015 part it won't open in SW2014.

Installing SW2015 SP2 made that version the one that gets launched behind-the-scenes, so it made it work better.