Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Forced rigid tapping

somename75

When setting the speed and feed for a tapping operation mastercam forces them to match or be rigid in other words. A lot of our machines are not capable of rigid tapping so I have to use floating holders and hand edit the feed rate to allow the holder to do its job. I hate hand editing code in any way, so I'm wondering if there is a switch to turn off this setting in mastercam. Thanks for your help

The way I see it right now, If I want to tap a 1/2-13, and in the operation I put in 130 RPM it will force the feed to be 10. IPM, I would like to have it feed at 9.9 so the floating holder will work correctly. I have not been able to find a switch to get it to stop automaticly adjusting the feed based on RPM. I hope this is a little clearer. Thanks for your replys

it's easy to adjust the post to output a percentage of the calculated feedrate.

From Mpfan.pst:

code:

ptap            #Canned Tap Cycle

pdrlcommonb

result = newfs(17, feed) # Set for tapping Feedrate format

result = feed# <=== ADDED to save original feed

feed = feed * .99# <=== ADDED to reduce feed

pcan1, pbld, n, *sgdrlref, *sgdrill, pxout, pyout, pfzout, pcout,

prdrlout, *feed, strcantext, e

pcom_movea

feed = result# <=== Added to restore feed

!feed# <=== Added to update feed

Damn Steve, you beat me to it

I was gonna say the same thing, but I'd go .98 as long as you don't do real deep holes with coarse threads as you'd run outta float

If you go tension/compression [which sucks, by the way] instead of straight tension you might be able to get away with 100% feed but I wouldn't

try it

C

Wow I've always used the straight feedrate, for floating holders, or for rigid tapping, and never had a problem ( I am talking 1000's of holes) it's a floating holder, I would think the optimate feedrate would be as if you were rigid tapping.

Am I wrong ?? headscratch.gif

If your machine has synchronized tapping; no. But if your machine has synchronized tapping you shouldn't be using floating holders anyway. If you don't have synchronized tapping it is typically safer to underfeed the tap slightly so that the tap is pulling on the tension spring in your holder; pushing against the tap will often result in breakage.