Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wire EDM Cut Point

JB7280

I created a simple program for our Wire EDM.  I attempted to use a cut point, and I thought I did it properly, but MC is ignoring the cut point, and shooting off to the side (circled in yellow).  I selected the geometry in this order; Thread point, chain, Cut point.  Is that correct?  I'm not sure where that lead-out is coming from.

edm.jpg.2788c2e704ccce0c365f5a078970ace6.jpg

Sounds like the right order. I'm not sure though because I've never used cut points. I found when I have more than 1 thing I'm doing it puts the wire cut in by itself.

Maybe you  aren't seeing it because you're only cutting one line there?

Attached is a picture of where I take care of that big lead out. I check the box and force it to only .020, don't know if thats the correct way but it works.I had to figure it all out on my own. You'll find help for Mcam wire is hard to come by.

Another thing I've learned to do is leave a gap between the start point and the beginning of the chain. This allows room for the comp to engage. If you were to put a start point on a circle, then feed the wire on that point and attempt to cut the arc with the wire on either side of the line, you'd see some wacky behavior. Just like with an endmill in milling I start to the left or right of the geometry depending on what I'm doing...

lead.jpg

4 minutes ago, volitan71 said:

Sounds like the right order. I'm not sure though because I've never used cut points. I found when I have more than 1 thing I'm doing it puts the wire cut in by itself.

Maybe you  aren't seeing it because you're only cutting one line there?

Attached is a picture of where I take care of that big lead out. I check the box and force it to only .020, don't know if thats the correct way but it works.I had to figure it all out on my own. You'll find help for Mcam wire is hard to come by.

Another thing I've learned to do is leave a gap between the start point and the beginning of the chain. This allows room for the comp to engage. If you were to put a start point on a circle, then feed the wire on that point and attempt to cut the arc with the wire on either side of the line, you'd see some wacky behavior. Just like with an endmill in milling I start to the left or right of the geometry depending on what I'm doing...

lead.jpg

Thanks for the reply!  And yes, I usually put my thread point at least .050" from the start of my contour.