Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hidden/Non-Existant Levels When Opening Old .mcam

SuperHoneyBadger

At our shop we have 1000's of programs made in earlier versions. Most register as "MastercamX6 Part Files" in explorer. I have only been around for a year, so most of them I have never seen.

I can open them in 2021 or 2022 for re-posting or grabbing a setup sheet, no problem. The issues start when I am getting wrist deep and starting modifications/uprev's or trying to make some hi-speed versions. Many, if not all, of the files have the part solid, part wireframes, surfaces, and toolpath driving wireframes completely invisible in the Levels manager. As in the levels don't exist - but I KNOW the geometry exists.

Why do I know?

Toolpaths are usually fine, and the Chain Manager will show the wireframes as "Chain 1, 2, 3... etc" or whatever it may be when its open. That's the only time I can see these particular wireframes/edges. Is this a common issue when opening older files? My initial thought is that the issue is similar to when you don't name a level, and you can lose the level in the manager, but the geo still exists. Maybe the X6 level naming/numbering system doesn't import well (or I am doing it wrong, by just opening it)? I must confess that 2021 was the first CAM system I have used, so I am totally stabbing in the dark as to how the older versions worked.

Any help would be appreciated! And may I say that this forum and its denizens have been an incredible companion as I started, and now continue, learning MC - and develop bitchin' CAM habits in general. 

a couple of things may be going on here

First, the Level's Manager

If you have Display set to  Range 1 t0 200 and the old programmer used levels bigger than 200 they will not be visible

Try changing your Level DIsplay setting to "Used or Named"

also

Some programmers use the Blank command to  hide geometry once they are done with it

This prevents solids and toolpaths from being destroyed by accidentally editing or deleting necessary geometry

Try using the "unblank" command. It may make the missing geometry visible (and editable) again 

• Thanks 1

another issue you may run into working on old programs done by other programmers .....

I used to work with a guy who was pretty lazy.

He would create wireframe from solids and surfaces, then have trouble chaining it due to tiny gaps between the wireframe segments

Rather than fix the troublesome chains, he just rolled with his chaining tolerance set to .004" all the time

So along comes gcode 4 years later to edit a toolpath

When he opens the file, half the toolpaths won't regen, all the solids explode and the file is pretty much useless

because gcode rolls with his chaining tolerance set to .001" inches and half of Lazy Guy's chains won't process.

so.... If you ever open an old file and all the solids explode and the toolpaths won't regen,  open a blank copy of Mastercam, bump up your chaining tolerance

in System Config and try opening the file again.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1