Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

65-45-12 Ductile Iron

jean

Good afternoon gentlemen, I working on a cycle time reduction project for a casting that we currently machine. I will attach a file for your review.

The green floor is how much material it needs removed.. and material has a draft to the top.

The tool path is the current tool path..

I was thinking of Opti roughing the pocket utilizing the raw casting as material to eliminate any air moves 

"Dura-Bar 65-45-12 ductile iron contains nodular graphite in a matrix of ferrite with small amounts of pearlite. The ferritic structure gives excellent machinability with good surface finishes along with optimal impact strengths, fatigue properties, electrical conductivity and high magnetic permeability. 

Any suggestions on cutting tool and or tool path?

TEST FILE.mcam

Run the same tools you would for steel.  Understand the chip control will be easier when drilling and if you ever have to turn or bore it.  IIRC you can run that stuff pretty hot if you want to feeds and speeds wise.  But it's been a decade, so I've slept once or twice.  I think we were running Kennametal Harvi I endmills in that at like 800 SFM and we were burying them.  For milling at the time were running Iscar Tang mills.  Feedmills cut that stuff like a hot knife through butter, possibly better.  There are much better feedmills on the market today.

• Like 2