Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Torque Wrenches for Production

We currently use a pneumatic butterfly wrench to set SHCS's then go back and torque them to spec. Problem is operators often forget (neglect?) to go back and torque them.

I'd like to find a torque wrench (pneumatic preferably) that's fast enough to drive SHCS and torque them at the same time. 

Anyone using one of these? What is it and how do you like it?

TYIA

When I worked at Cummins BITD we used pneumatic tools that were set to specific torque values. That was in the early 90's. They work awesome. You'll just need to get the thing to tell you what it's torque is at so you can adjust if necessary. 

Something similar to this is what we had.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255230683471?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338590836&toolid=10044&customid=34dd0270de8b17929218618a86ac2c85

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

One Customer of mine - we standardised all fixings to M8 Skt Cap screws and used a small body (low power) butterfly type.

If you have various size threads I think you'll be on a hiding to nothing because (IME) the boys will leave it set at max torque....

We are using a few different types here, including butterfly. Problem is they have to be re-built almost annually due to all the usage (big production shop running 3 shifts 6 days a week). I wonder if we're using the same kind (small body/low power) as you. I will do some research, thank you.

Lots of variables here. Standardizing to a single SHCS is probably not an option. We make travel fixtures that mount to machine with 1/4 and 1/2 SHCS but we also mount the work piece on the travel fixture using #4 and/or #6 SHCS. Some parts are alum and others are 304sst. 

So I dug back and checked....CP was the name as I remembered the logo!
Chigao Pneumatic.
It was easy(ish) as we did ground up turnkey of everything....so standardisation to M8 was easy.
We used these and regulated the air input.
Set the setting on max and it worked out well for M8. 
https://tools.cp.com/en/products/impactwrenches/cp7721

For you, the biggest battle obviously is operator "forgetting" to use a torque wrench.
Genuine "forget", or "can't be bothered as it's tight" forget?

Looking at your thread sizes (6.35 + 12.7), M8 sits right between but I appreciate changing things over is a big project.
But if you can, it's once and forever.
Where "forgetting to use the torque wrench" will possibly be forever?
Could you do one cell at a time, and use screwed air fittings rather than quick release to stop anyone easily swapping out the gun etc?

Just thinking out loud.

:cheers:

• Like 1