Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Looking for a Five Axis

I am in the fortunate position  to research for a new machining center to process some 34 X 15 X 10 in Inconel 725 parts. 

My short list so far.

Matsuura MAM72-100H (personal favorite because of chip control)

DMG Mori Mono Block 85

Okuma MU8000V

Mazak i-800 NEO ( Not quite sure about this one, may have to step up to the 1050)

I also have a RFQ for Vericut, but the Matsuura comes with Camplete so that's a plus

Are there any other machines out there that I am missing?   I have a meeting Thursday with the Matsuura salesman.

Thanks,

Ricky 

Yasda YBM 7Ti if you like the idea of a horizontal. Similar class of machine as the Mats but some people would say Yasda is a touch more accurate (ok I say this since I am in charge of a H40i😀)

Hermle C52/C62

Makino D800z. 40 taper or 50 taper versions. They should also have HSK spindle options if you're so inclined.

Full disclosure with the Yasda, their service is slow. Yasda has 2 "Yasda" people they have on 6 year rotations that are basically the only people you will see from Japan. They are also incredibly secretive and don't let their contract companies (I.E. Methods Machine) do all of the work.  I know Methods is working on getting them to change this since their sales have been really strong and its just taking to long and customers are getting upset.  When you get them on site, work goes fast is done really well.  It's just a PITA to get them there. YMMV

HSK vs Steep taper is currently the debate I am having in my head. The book Metal Cutting Theory and Practice did a breakdown on the dynamic and static stiffness on just about every style of taper and the conclusion is that HSK and BigPlus are damn near equivalent. This has also been my experience. 

The differences that I have found is that it seems like there is alot more options for HSK now than there is for BigPlus holders. The other benefit in my opinion is the lack of pull stud for HSK. Makes it much easier to share tools thru different brands of machines.

However, like you said BigPlus is the standard on the Japanese machines and they are my preferred country of origin. I think they just make better machines. So for now I am living with the BigPlus BT40 and getting along fine. The other benefit to steep taper is you can get much shorter gage length holders which can allow for things like longer drills and stuff.

No perfect answers, only a series of tradeoffs

• Like 3

Good morning James, we have a meeting set up with Andrew Templin tomorrow to discuss our needs and timeline.  Looking forward to digging deeper into the  options and capabilities of the 100H.  One question on the programming side, the Kinematic configuration of the 100H.  Do you just use top as your WCS or Front like you would on a traditional Horizontal machine?