Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiaxis Toolpaths, which are suitable for 4 axis machining

MatthewMachinist

Hi,

I work a 3 axis mill with 4 years experience with Mastercam. I sometimes get to use our 4 axis rotary table, I have so far just used the 2d and 3d toolpaths with a lot of transform rotates.

However I am interest in the multiaxis toolpaths, which I know NOTHING about. My question is which of these toolpaths can be used on a 4 axis machine? It seems like a simple question but I have been having trouble finding an answer... I am probably looking in the wrong places. I was considering doing a course on improving my 4 axis skills but it seems every course includes 5 axis as well, which could have its benefits I guess providing the toolpaths also work on a 4 axis machine.

Thanks,

Matt.

• Like 1

Good question.   I generally depends on their use cases.

Most of the modern ones (Unified, Swarf Milling, Deburr, Triangular Mesh) can be used 3/4/5 like Simon Says.  Curve can also be used this way.

Rotary only toolpaths like Rotary Advanced and Rotary can only be used in 4 axis.

A lot of the older toolpaths such as Flow, Swarf, Multisurf, can only be used 4 or 5 axis.

The specialty toolpaths Port Expert and Blade Expert can only be used in 5 axis mode.

Multiaxis Linking is a neat case, though, although the motion can only be chosen to be in 4 or 5 axis mode, if you link 3 axis toolpaths (on the same plane) together, you'll still get 3 axis motion.

8 hours ago, MatthewMachinist said:

I was considering doing a course on improving my 4 axis skills but it seems every course includes 5 axis as well, which could have its benefits I guess providing the toolpaths also work on a 4 axis machine.

Absolutely.   Once you get the hang of using Unified, you'll find yourself using it for everything.  Can't get one of the 3 axis paths to give you a good blend?  Unified.   Can't get a decent undercut toolpath on your 3 axis part?  Unified.

It's like Frank's Red Hot.  I put that on EVERYTHING.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Absolutely.   Once you get the hang of using Unified, you'll find yourself using it for everything.  Can't get one of the 3 axis paths to give you a good blend?  Unified.   Can't get a decent undercut toolpath on your 3 axis part?  Unified.

It's like Frank's Red Hot.  I put that on EVERYTHING.

This.

100% THIS.

I cannot believe how versatile Unified is. 

• Like 1