Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Scallop height not working with bullnose tools in 2023/2024???

amw

Hey guys whats up with scallop height not working with bullnose tools in surface finish scallop toolpath? Says the scallop height is 0.000 unless its a massive stepover (bigger then flat bottom of tool). I guess its only calculating the height on a flat bottom? Real shame it isn't smarter then this.

I think years ago we could hit max stepover button and it would calculate the scallop height at 45 degrees so you could choose a suitable stepover. Is there any way to still do this? 

I'll be honest: I've never tried to use a bullnose cutter with this program. So, I ran 3 test programs with a 3/4 bullnose, .098 rad. I used a .005, .05 and .15 step, and the scallop height did stay at 0 on the flats for all 3, though that kind of makes sense on a flat surface as the stepover would have to be widely divergent on flat areas if you wanted the scallop to stay the same as the non flat areas. Not sure what to tell you. Sometimes if I have a part with a huge flat area, I'll finish it with an endmill or facemill and then window that area out and finish the rest with a ballmill. Still not sure I'd ever use a bullnose, but perhaps that's just my ignorance speaking.