Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Convert Mastercam Program from Inch to Metric

LHM

I have some extremely complicated programs (hundreds of toolpaths and many hours invested into them) that were programmed with Mastercam configured in Inch. I now want to "switch" these programs and Mastercam files over to metric, a quick test of doing this did not work as I had hoped. Is this possible without completely reprogramming the part?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

You will have to keep them in Inch, and modify you post to output  to Metric.  This is the easiest way to do it I think, because changing the system will scale the part but not all the inputs, resulting in you converting all of your inputs for every toolpath by putting "IN" each field after the number to convert from inch to metric.

Safely convert inch to metric outputs in a post. You can have your reseller help you with this. 
https://my.mastercam.com/knowledgebase/how-to-safely-convert-inch-to-metric-output-in-a-post/ 

• Like 2

Thanks for the helpful info here! I figured this was the case. if anyone has other ideas please let me know.

We are going metric becuase 95% of our work is metric and converting the prints back and forth is a huge waist of time and energy, better just to standardize on what the customers want.

Most of the tools we use are metric anyways and the ones that are not will remain inch. Better an inch endmill in a metric machine then a metric endmill in inch machine. nothing wrong with using a 12.7mm endmill but a 0.47244094inch endmill is a little less freindly.

2 hours ago, tornero32 said:

I'm curious about switching to metric. What about the tools??? for example, 3/8" endmill is not the same as 10mm end mill? 

Why the need to go to metric? are you going to spend all the money to buy metric tools??  I'm just wondering.

If you convert the file, you'll find a 3/8" endmill is processed as a 0.375mm endmill, not a 9.525mm endmill as it should be.  At a minimum, you'll have to manually generate the equivalent tool library in metric, select those tools, and check all your speeds, feeds, depth cuts, and stepovers.  Then pay special attention to thread pitches.