Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Project on to Surface

Jobnt

I'm projecting 12,000 entities onto some surfaces. I selected the entities and hit project. It starts counting entities to project and you can barely count them by hundreds (100, 200, 300, 400 etc) until it gets past the first few hundred then it starts slowing down. By the end you're counting by tens (10, 20, 30, 40 etc) just as fast as you were counting by hundreds.

Ok, whatever. Go to lunch expecting to be done when I get back ( <--- LOL, made myself laugh).

Come back from lunch and it's all done and looks great. I hit OK and it starts counting again. And you can barely count them by hundreds (100, 200, 300, 400 etc) until it gets past the first few hundred then it starts slowing down. By the end you're counting by tens (10, 20, 30, 40 etc) just as fast as you were counting by hundreds.

So it projects them one time, then projects them again. I'm assuming after you verify it. 

Is there a way to skip verify and just frickin' project it once so I can make a toolpath today?

On 8/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, Jobnt said:

I'm projecting 12,000 entities onto some surfaces.

12,000!?!? :shock:

@Jobnt I know you talk about having a ton of entities in your files, so I'm curious, what industry do you make parts for? 

We do a lot of aerospace parts and my bigger files have a couple thousand entities total, seems like your totals must be in the tens if not hundreds of thousands 🤯

1 hour ago, Jake L said:

12,000!?!? :shock:

@Jobnt I know you talk about having a ton of entities in your files, so I'm curious, what industry do you make parts for? 

We do a lot of aerospace parts and my bigger files have a couple thousand entities total, seems like your totals must be in the tens if not hundreds of thousands 🤯

That's actually a small number compared to some of the stuff we do.

We do a lot of engraving and our parts are typically about 20% to 40% prismatic. Think curved, aerodynamic, flowing surfaces with thousands of detailed contours projected onto those surfaces.

And it sucks because the level of detail we need compared to the overall size of the part means tolerances of about .0002" which creates chaining nightmares. Getting a good chain without overlapping entities and/or gaps is a serious PITA. 

4 hours ago, Jobnt said:

That's actually a small number compared to some of the stuff we do.

We do a lot of engraving and our parts are typically about 20% to 40% prismatic. Think curved, aerodynamic, flowing surfaces with thousands of detailed contours projected onto those surfaces.

And it sucks because the level of detail we need compared to the overall size of the part means tolerances of about .0002" which creates chaining nightmares. Getting a good chain without overlapping entities and/or gaps is a serious PITA. 

You can probably make it easier by using break many to normalize the segment length while maintaining the tolerance, then use a gap tol of less than the segment length

At least in theory

Should work better

• Like 1