Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Model Toolpaths and chaining

CoonDogWillie

Would anyone know a resource, pay or free at this point I will feel blessed to be able to find something that could get me to understand how to judge and decide which of the many 2 or 3 D strategies MS has available is the one I should select.  At least I would be love to be able to narrow it down to 1 or 2.  

Also I like to find instructions more specific or to the point.  Like a step by step break down of approaching programming of a solid model.  I have watched  the "my mastercam"  courses, "mastercam core" , "2D mill" and although nicely done it is very broad.

You can look at the file I have attached.  I was asked to mill a groove on the inside of a hole clocked at 3 and what you see is the best I could do.  Darn pathetic I know BUT, I will do whatever I need to in order to get so I understand this.

PLEASE any help sent and "your a good kind person someday people will wright songs about" that's what i'll say to anyone and everyone whether they care to listen or not 😃

keyseat cutter for groove 24246P32.mcam

Nothing wrong with using the Contour toolpath here, you're wanting to follow a contour.   The big thing I'd change is to put a Sweep on your lead in so it swings into the cut instead of plunging in:

image.thumb.png.e89980bb9edd3b4f8807e7151d34c90a.png

Use Entry Point isn't going to do anything for ya since you don't have a point selected before your curve.   You can uncheck it.

As far as training goes, for free you can get In-House Solutions great guides:

https://www.inhousesolutions.com/resource/mastercam-2024-training-links/

There's probably a class at a local community college, or from your reseller.  I teach a local tech school, for example.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, CoonDogWillie said:

how to judge and decide which of the many 2 or 3 D strategies MS has available is the one I should select

Super dependent on part geometry, but this is generally roughly what I end up with in a typical file. Most of my work is 3 + 1 aerospace parts.

50% operations are 2D contour - it's hard to stray from this toolpath because of how much control it gives you. The downside is most of the time you have to create additional geometry to chain.

15% 2D or 3D dynamic (OptiRough)

15% Drill/Counterbore

20% other (2D Pocket, 2D Area Mill, Flowline, Deburr, Unified, etc.)

Most of the toolpaths in Mastercam are very application specific. For example there are cases where 3D Spiral is the perfect toolpath for the job, but 9 times out of 10 Flowline or Unified will do just as well.

The way I learned was trial and error. The toolpaths pictures give an idea of what the toolpath is used for, so using that you can start to make guesses and build experience.