Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to prevent open edges and model errors in PrusaSlicer when drawing in Mastercam?

nholcom

Hello,

I'm a relative novice at using Mastercam and I have been drawing up YuGiOh deckboxes to print on my Prusa i3 MK2 just for fun. I went to slice my model in PrusaSlicer and I notice that there are some errors on the model; in particular, it said something about open edges. Now, I have never really done any work in Mastercam before aside from for my job. I can describe how I made the model, and maybe that will provide some insight as to why there are open edges and how to fix them.

First, I made the wireframe. I found the dimensions for a different deckbox, and that made mine ~ 3.5in x 2.5in x 4in with the lid included (not 100% sure about the final dimensions but there we go). After that, I used the Extrude feature quite a lot- I used it to extrude the main body of the deckbox and I also used it to cut into the deckbox to give it that big cavity in the middle. I also used it to extrude the main solid for the lid about an inch, then I cut into it with another extrude operation, this time at -0.8in to give it a 0.2in solid "bed" if you will. That way, it isn't too flimsy and it can withstand being dropped. Finally, I extruded the lip where the lid meets the deckbox body and added a chamfer. That's it.

All that to say, I really want to know why there were open edges because I want to start modeling things in Mastercam more. I want to start being able to make my own models!

image.thumb.png.e19f702f130681e1acbbba62d4a76873.png

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic. Thank you for reading, have a great day.

EDIT: Added the .stl files, as I realized I forgot to attach them.

deckbox lid v2.stl deckbox v2.stl

Edited by nholcom
Added stl files

You may have to play with the .stl export tolerance a bit to get a good clean model out.

I brought them into Magics RP and it also shows open edges and it won't repair them...not all of them anyway.