Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

verify on a STL file

pkrzic

I have a problem verifying STL file as stock. Everytime I make an STL model from surface model and then import it in verifier, the model is not complete. I also get a message that a LW found that an STL model was not water tight and that an aproksimation is going to be used. All concave parts of a model are filled so that I can not verify toolpths in those parts. Does any of you have any answers?

According to p00h (read Iskandar), you can use any model type for verify, but I haven't tried it.

One thing I notice is some parts I do have detailed work on all 6 sides, and after the first half is done, the models saved from verify have a waterfall effect because undercut surfaces.

Oh yeah, I just love "LW"..A.K.A. "LightWORST" around here.

I've found that for verifiying multiside parts, you've got to verify the entire part at once, or stop saving as STL the operation BEFORE the waterfall effect happens, and then for further verifications start at that point...

make sense?

I agree w/ cmr.

I save my STL files in stages after verifying each operation, i.e., partname_stage1.stl, partname_stage2.stl, partname_stage3.stl...etc., OR partname_top.stl, partname_leftside.stl, partname_bottom.slt...etc., until all my operations are complete. Then you can verify each operation on the stl file that is at the correct stage and orientation for that operation. This is especially helpful when you need multiple setups to work on top, sides, or bottom of the part. In that case, your stl file will always be rotated to the proper cplane and tplane for the particular side of the part you are working on.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

I also found out that there is no waterfall effect if the model for STL creation is a genuine Mastercam solid model. On a big cast surface models that solution gets out of the question (models are imported IGES files, sometime imported Pro-E part files).