Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help (should be an easy one for you wizards..

Michael Reynolds

Before installing the new card did you remove the old drivers before shuting the computer down to insatll the new card?

Oh ya hi mike how's life?

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

Mastercam forum FTP free file support

ftp://www.ppcadcam.com

User: mastercam

Pass: forum

Hi Jay! My LIFE sucks, but my job is great! Anyway, I wasn't smart enough to get rid of the old driver before installing the new one, but I did get rid of the old one (after the fact...). What should I do now, o wise one?

BTW, we'll be making a decision about the editor thang within a couple of months...I think it's gonna be between predator and cimco...I'll keep you informed.

Thanks Jay!

Mike R.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Mike,

What Jay said is quite important, even if you are making a change in models not just manufacturers, it's a good idea to remove the old drivers and uninstall any software it uses. Case in point, a few weeks ago I upgraded my Video from a Matrox Millenium G400 16MB card to a G450 32MB card. I had problems the first time around, so I slapped myself, put the old card back in, removed the drivers, took out the old put in the new and it was much better. Just a thought if you've not gone too far already.

------------------

James M. ;)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If your system will boot, you're in luck. What OS are you running? In Win 2k Professional, uninstall the software related to the old card. Then, go into the "System" from COntrol Panel, go to device manager and remove the old card from the device list. Re-Boot and see if it will Plug and Pray, er, I mean Pug and Play.

Let us know.

Thanks Estop, worked like a charm! The only thing is, when I'm in mcam, I can't see the cursor when it's in the graphics background (which is mcam's default - black).

BTW, I'm running on a 1.2gig athlon with 312 megs of ram, nvidia gforce2 (64 meg), on windows ME.

Any suggetions?

Thanks!

Mike R.

[This message has been edited by Michael Reynolds (edited 06-19-2001).]

Yes one, =Run=. WINME is going to cause you a large pain .

Has nothing to do with mastercam just using it it has problems i have been trying it on one system in my house and i am going "Formate C:" & put win2k.

so the software can run and the computer will shut down and start .

i run win2k on the rest of my station and server along with my laptop works great.

my .002

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

Mike, Since I probably caused all this by

posting a link to the latest greatest Nvidia

drivers this morning, I'll try to redeem

myself frown.gif

This link will have copies of your old NVIDIA drivers should you wish to reinstall them. I don't think it will work though. WinME just plain sucks!!!

Once you break something in ME

it is very hard to fix. I ruined a perfectly good Micron P3 600 installing ME on it.

I had to upgrade to Win2K to get my computer back.

Link to NVIDIA drivers Rev 5.8 though 10.8

http://www.nvnews.net/files/files.shtml

Mike,

There is not much visual or sensual difference (can I say that here???) between ME and 2K.

The main differnce is 6 months after you do the upgrade you will suddenly realize that you can't remember the last time you had a crash.

The other day I walked into a friend's

shop and he was staring at the Blue Screen of Death. That's when I realized just how good WIN2K is.

That was the first computer crash I'd seen in 6 months!

crash = Blue screen of Death

= program lockups

= total sytem lockups

= illegal operation warnings etc

Occassionally, Internet Explorer will quit

running properly and I'll reboot to solve the problem, but thats the closes I've come to a crash lately.

Ways to solve system crashes.

Rule #1: The more complex a system the more the probability of failure. In other words, the more software you install the better chance there is of a crash. And, don't think just because you "uninstalled" the software that remnants of it aren't still there.

Rule #2: See rule #1

On my network I lock down machines. I don't allow users to install anything beyond what I put on them. I also lock out screen savers, background images, color changes, etc.. It may be hard to believe but changing a screensaver, background, font can remove needed resources from the system and required software.

This also stops your users from installing illegal software and shareware. Shareware is usually the worst culprit of crashes. You install it, don't like it, think you uninstall it and all of a sudden you're running a ghost to rebuild the system.

Windows 2000 and Windows NT are both VERY stable operating systems. The problem comes when you start trying to run things not designed for those operating systems, find out it doesn't work, then fail to uninstall them properly. After 10 or 20 different installs the registry can get bunched up or the actual DOS can get messed. So if you want to keep a stable OS, build the machine, install only the software that is required and lock the machine down.

Another problem is the complexity of hardware. As I am finding with my Verify problem; when you start mixing hardware you need to refer to rule #1. This is why I always tell people to only buy machines that have a proven track record. HP, Dell, Compaq, IBM spend millions of dollars on each model to make sure every hardware component works 99% with the rest. When you go to grandpa Joe's computers on the corner of 3rd and Main they may say the test/burn in the machines, but 2 hours of letting a machine run doesn't show that it's going to work properly under high stress.

You need to make sure you get well tested hardware including; motherboards, IO cards, video cards, memory, processors, hard drives, CDroms, etc... If anyone of those devices is crappy or cheap it can throw the whole machine out of whack.

All in all what I am trying to say is that 99 times out of 100 it isn't the operating systems which cause crashes but a combination of hardware and software solutions run on that Operating system.

BTW, how many of you actually check the NT or 2000 HCL before you add a piece of hardware to your machine? How many of you actually know what the HCL is much less why it exists? The HCL (Hardware Compatiability List) is a list of hardware which Microsoft certifies will work with it's OS. If your hardware is not in that list, then maybe it's the hardware that's causing the problems. And, don't think just because the Hardware Manufacturer makes a driver for the OS, that Microsoft will certify that it works 100% with their OS.

Good luck.

-cm

[This message has been edited by Albion (edited 06-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Albion (edited 06-20-2001).]

Albion:

I find most crashes (especially BSOD's) are not from software or hardware, but drivers.

A broken driver is a common thing, and users love to have the latest and greatest drivers. So if a driver, not certified by the WHQ Labs, gets dropped onto a system; havoc reigns.

In the fall, nvidia will be releasing their motherboard chipset. Not only will it have built in 5.1 audio, and built in GeForce video, but it will also use unified drivers. That means, one driver for your whole system. I'm looking forward to it. Oh, and it supports the Athlon/Duron series. smile.gif

Quote: GCODE (There is not much sensual difference (can I say that here???) between ME (aka Gcode or WinME )and 2K.)

Gcode i am wondering about this statment is there some thing you want to tell us. smile.gif

Is this WinMe or Me as in you.

Do you feel some thing for the OS. biggrin.gif

Hey Gcode all in good fun here.

Hopefully i did not Offend you by palying here but man i could not help this statment.

(AKA the joker)

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

[This message has been edited by cadcam (edited 06-21-2001).]

Jeremy brings up a good point. The safest thing you can do is use drivers that are certified my Microsoft's WHQ labs. I've run into this problem on my personal system running Windows 2000 SP2 and trying to install uncertified SoundBlaster Live! drivers. Blue-screened everytime on Windows startup until I removed the drivers in safe mode and installed a certified driver instead.

If you try to install drivers that haven't gone through Microsoft's certification, Windows 2000 will display a warning message. The driver may work...but then again, it may not.

[This message has been edited by Bullines (edited 06-21-2001).]

quote:

I find most crashes (especially BSOD's) are not from software or hardware, but drivers.

And what essentially are drivers? You guessed it, software. smile.gif

I do agree with you, drivers can be a big problem. Especially like I said before, when a manufacturer makes a driver for a hardware device that isn't in the HCL. You may think, "Their driver has to work, it says 'For windows ME'." Well, unless it's certified with Microsoft and the driver is found on the OS CD or on www.microsoft.com it might not.

Just like other software on a computer, you may think that by uninstalling a driver you are getting rid of the entire driver, but in a lot of cases that's not true, something seems to always be left behind.

I tend to like to leave drivers alone from the stock install; it saves from quite a few problems in the future. This is why I always cringe when someone says, "Have you tried the latest driver."

This is why Norton Ghost is your friend. smile.gif

-al

Albion,

You're right in saying that sticking with stock drivers is a safe bet. However, a lot of times those stock drivers' performance is terrible. Case in point, my personal is a Dell Dimension XPS-T. The nVidia GeForce 256 based video card is a Dell card and they urge you to only use drivers from Dell. The card worked great, but I noticed that the card wasn't giving me 3D performance that I expected from it. On a whim, I downloaded nVidia's Detonator drivers (against Dell's advice). I was blown away by the performance gains with the Detonator drivers over Dell's ho-hum driver. The moral of the story? Drivers are a hit 'n' miss affair. Experienced computer users should have no problem trouble shooting driver problems. However, if you're a little nervous when it comes to tinkering with your system stick with the stock drivers or a Microsoft certified driver for your card. And yes, Norton Ghost can be a life-saver smile.gif