Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

More than 255 layers?

MetalFlake

Here's my sitcheashun:

I have a part to make that requires a fair amount of tooling. I'm also making a pedestal assy (horizontal machine fixture) that has 3 different components. Doesn't sound like a big deal till this:

I break my layers down by 10's. IOW layer 1-20 is all geometry, mostly for reference when I want to go look at each component. 10-20 is part op1. 20-30 is op2. 30-40 is op3 etc... I'll do this part in 5 ops. Each set of 10 has a copy of the part wire, solid, stock, along with toolpath goemetry, fixtures, shop sketches.

Same kind of thing goes for all the tooling geometry and for each operation for them. The horizontal pedestal assy is 3 components total of seven progs. The part tooling is 4 components total of 8 programs.

This way everything is in one file and broken down this way is easier for me to deal with.

MF

is

x2, Ron.

:troll:.. wink.gif

It's impossible to get more than 255 levels. Other software doesn't even have the ability to do it. (They use a type of masking with pointers to give that illusion, but that's it wink.gif ) It's basically a function, (or lack there-of) of the i86 processor type restriction that is very similar to the restrictions of 256 chars in a file name, etc.

Another way to think about it, is color. There are 255 shades of red, green and blue. But by combining/masking parts of the other colors, (mixing), you can claim to have, say 2 billion colors, or levels.

:/troll:.. wink.gif

I'm sure if you're creative, you'll come up with a way of managing your levels better.

quote:

Each set of 10 has a copy of the part wire, solid, stock, along with toolpath goemetry, fixtures, shop sketches.

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Why not keep it in one level and turn on that level when you want it?

To add but the bigger the file the longer it takes ot open and close and save. I might look at copies fo the files for op1 op2 and so forth then save ops with geometry. Then whe nyou have it all to your liking make a dummy import program to bring them all into the make one program out of. 25 copies of everything is a tad bit to much don't you think. headscratch.gifeek.gifheadscratch.gifeek.gif

Agree with Matt between colors, masking, groups and the such I could make it work. I have done stuff that I worked on in Autocad where I did work on every layer but worked on that for a solid month pre-cam program programing and yes it sucked very very much to put 160 hours into a program to make a 3d part but did what you had to.