Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spring cuts

Kevin B

In version 6 it was easy to program spring cuts, interpolating a diameter in a bore for example. You could chain the diamond (it was a diamond in that version) twice around the profile and the cut would interpolate twice without returning to z clear plane. Thus performing a spring cut, how is this possible in version 8? You can use the "overlap" under lead in lead out. But this is not an exact spring cut, 360 deg.

Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

I would also like some help with this.

When I interpolate a circle, generally I will start at a pre-defined point, lead in to the circle start point, interpolate the circle, and lead out about .05 @ perpendicular.

When I use multi-passes, the tool completes the first pass, feeds back the .05, feeds back to the original start point, than feeds back to the circle start point, and completes the spring pass. How can I eliminate the useless (and sometimes detrimental) middle moves???

I want to start milling at the pre-defined point, feed to the circle start point, go arount the circle once, go around again, than feed out .05, rapid up and go on the next hole!!!

VERSION 8, MILL LEVEL 3

Thank you all for help.

- Kathy

Kathy Richardson

Mfg. Engineer, CNC Programming

Applied Aerospace Structures Corp. (AASC), Stockton, CA

phone: 209-983-3203

fax: 209-983-3375

The way to do this Kathy is surprisingly easy. Chain the arc -Then under multi passes specify 1 Rough cut at 0.0, 1 Fin pass at 0.0 then Machine finish passes at final depth and Keep Tool Down.

-- And the the Trick or so as to speak - go to your Lead in/out parameters and specify - Enter at first depth only and Exit at last depth cut only.

Hope this Helps

Karl smile.gif

Karl,

Thank You very much for your input.

I had a chance to try your suggestions. The process works perfectly except for one wrinkle: I use a point to start my lead in (I need to pre-drill the material for the O-Flute router), and I need to add a few more steps to generate the appropriate code. With a point chained, those setting will cause the tool to feed in at the start point, feed to the circle, interpolate the circle, feed back to the start point, feed back to the circle, interpolate the circle again (spring pass) feed out, than rapid out.

A few days ago I posted about a tool feeding back to a start point after a contour cut instead of to the end point. This circle interpolation issue seems to be the same bug!

So, when using a start point and to keep the tool at the start of the circle for the second pass, use the following settings:

Multi-Passes:

Roughing Pass: 1 @ 0,0

Finishing Pass: 0 @ 0,0

Machine Final Passes at Final Depth

Keep Tool Down: ON

Open up Depth Cuts:

Max Rough Step: Large enough value to cut through your material in one pass.

# Finish Cuts: 1 @ 0,0

Depth Cut Order By Contour.

Keep Tool Down

Lead In / Out:

Enter on first depth cut only: ON

Exit on last depth cut only: ON

- Kathy

------------------

Kathy Richardson

Mfg. Engineer, CNC Programming

Applied Aerospace Structures Corp. (AASC), Stockton, CA

phone: 209-983-3203

fax: 209-983-3375

Hi Kathy - ever played Duelling Banjo's

smile.gif

Heres a way a liitle easier I think?

V8 of course -

Ops manager - right click for toolpath

Cirlcle paths

Cirlcle Mill

Select Arc

Select to start center and perp entry

FORGET : Depths - Multi - Roughing

"Trick A LA Trade" smile.gif

OEVERLAP = Length of arc

(Insert L in the overlap value box - enter - and select the arc to retrieve the length of the arc.)

cool.gif

How is the set up sheet working ?

Regards

Karl Oram

Caledonian CADCAM

Scotland

Karl,

Thanks, I hadn't even noticed that option yet!! I will play around with it more next week to see if it will give me what I need!

The big key for me is to have that 'hard' point location as 90% of my parts require pre-drilling.

The setup sheet is working okay,although there are still some things I would like to do with it, say capture the header info in a dialog box / file. Let's talk later, and I'll show you what I have so far.

This year has been very busy just getting programs done and parts out the door. Havn't had muuch time for anything else :}

It's friday afternoo - I'm outa here!

- Kathy