Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DUMB Solids

dxclark

Are there any solids file x-fer/conversion formats that carry the original solids history with them?

I have customers that send me solids in ParaSolid and IGES formats, and they are always dumb solids!

Can I suggest to them anything different?

------------------

camklutz

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'd like to see an IGES file with a Solid in it. I'd even pay money to see it.

For Solids, you'll need ACIS (*.sat), Parasolid (*.x_t or *.x_b or *.xmt_txt) or a STEP file. Step supposedly will be able to handle the solid history. We'll see.

(Note: Solids are NOT one of the supported entities in IGES)

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

Dxclark,

I have not found a way to bring in the Solid history tree into Mastercam, only dumb solids. Maybe in the future…

James,

We had this discussion before about Solids in IGES files. Other CAD software can read and write solids in IGES files. But Mastercam does NOT support these entity types. On a side note, the history tree is not there. Previous discussion regarding IGES and solids - http://www.emastercam.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000468.html BTW, how much are you willing to pay for an IGES file with a solid in it? wink.gif

Since each piece of software describes the original geometry in it's own fashion, the export would have to be a combination of the solid data and something like an IGES file with the wireframe plus an instruction set for the operations. Knowing how many different versions of so called standard (IGES) outputs there are I'm not holding my breath on this one ;P

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Remember now, software that "knits" an IGES Surface Model into a solid and builds a history tree does not count. wink.gif

------------------

James M. wink.gif

Mastercam Enthusiast

[This message has been edited by James Meyette (edited 06-29-2001).]