Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wear

Andy

I notice there are three choices for tool comp in pocket parameters finish called:

Computer, Machine, Wear.

So I tried wear and the result was equivalent to choosing Left Left in contour parameters when it is posted. (A toolpath offset by the tool radius.)

In this case, of course, one would have to enter the tool diameter at the machine as zero and adjust for size from there +-.

So my question is exactly what is "wear"?

Thanks, Andy

------------------

Gordon Engineering

Eureka, Ca.

V8 Lathe and Mill

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Wear is compensation that compensates eek.gif for 'wear' in the tool after use or if you mis-program/don't have the corner radius of the tool.

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

Many of our customers in the woodworking field use 'wear' compensation (AKA Counter-compensation) on Contours as well. As was previously mentioned, 'wear' compensation allows you to program using compensation in the computer and then compensate back for any variation in the tool diameter. This variation is usually due to sharpening.

Since Contour toolpaths don't have a 'wear' compensation selection, you would use the compenstation in the computer to comp. to the correct side of the chain and also select the OPPOSITE comp. direction on the control. Example: Left in Computer, Right on Control. In your diameter offset table on the control you would enter the *difference* between the theoretical tool diameter and the actual tool diameter. (1/2" tool sharpened down to .492" = 0.008") If there is no tool diameter difference, you just enter 0 (zero).

Using this method, our clients are able to roll around corners, use Entry/Exit lines and arcs, etc and still have the capability to adjust for tool diameter variations at the control. If there is a diameter 'difference' for the tool, the control just moves back into the part by half the diameter 'difference'.

Hope this helps.

Brad McIntosh

CNC Automation

[This message has been edited by Brad McIntosh (edited 07-03-2001).]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Since Contour toolpaths don't have a 'wear' compensation selection, you would use the compenstation in the computer to comp. to the correct side of the chain and also select the OPPOSITE comp. direction on the control. Example: Left in Computer, Right on Control.

I find this puzzling. Why would you select OPPOSITE? Would you not get the same "wear" result using Left and Left? WIth Using Left and Right, you'll get get G42 instead of G41(or is it G41 instead of G42 confused.gif ). Anyway, this can be confusing to operators on the floor because they will be thinking the tool is conventional cutting on an exterior profile instead of climb cutting.

Just wondering out loud.

------------------

James M. ;)

Mastercam Enthusiast

For example in contour I would program left- left and at the machine put in Zero for tool Diameter. if the contour came out .002 too small (ID) then I would change the tool dia to -.002. The machine would then think the tool was smaller (In fact it may be smaller-re-grind etc.) and it would move it closer to the contour to compensate. As a matter of fact this is how I usually program at the Fadal so that when I backplot I get what I see. However Pocket "Wear" seems to do the same thing. Or another way of saying it is you cant choose Left Left in Pocket. ie. choose wear.

I have never thought to try contour left right!!! And I will! But how would you choose Left Right in Pocket????

I think that left right is for marching, not for compensating in a traditional way. If a smaller tool is used, or more material needs to be removed a negative offset value is entered into the control. With left right that same negative value would offset the tool to leave even more material. I just don't know anyone who has ever thought of cutter compensation from the backside of their tool. Interesting idea though.

Whenever I have some critical size to make in the pocket. I always use pocket to do only rough without any compensation and leave .005" material in the X,Y . Then I use contour to make all the final size using the same tool. Like this operator never get confuse.Because we control all our compensation/wear from 0.000 i.e left,left and right,right in contour.