Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

building a piston vise

Shady

I was wondering if anyone here has ever built an automotive type piston vise. I need to build one ASAP to machine the valve reliefs on the boss's race car. It must be able to hold a piston that is 4.600 diameter and must be capable of compound angles. I know that gearhead tool sells a good one but I was hoping to find an exploded view or drawing of one to aide in making my own. Thanks to anyone willing to help.~~~~~Shady

[email protected]

Shady

Take a block Cut your bore

then Run slots almost all the way out to the Ends Down the center of the block (So you can collapse the Bore when you clamp on it in a vice)

We have a Wire so I used that to do the whole thing.

I could send you a file if you want.

(Total G job) biggrin.gif

Tony

Edit: You can c'bore the back of the block for

the wrist pin to maintain location of each piston

"Take a block Cut your bore

then Run slots almost all the way out to the Ends Down the center of the block (So you can collapse the Bore when you clamp on it in a vice)

"

Why dont you clamp a small piece of sheetmetal or something thin in the jaws before you machine the bore instead of cutting slots afterwards?

Tony, thanks for the file....it was much appreciated. Thanks for the advice everyone. Im not sure the type of vise that you are talking about will work for my particular application but it is a different approach from the one I was initially taking. I will give my brain time to kick in and see what kind of madness comes out. Thanks again for your time and trouble. ~~~~~Shady

Tony, thanks for the file....it was much appreciated. Thanks for the advice everyone. Im not sure the type of vise that you are talking about will work for my particular application but it is a different approach from the one I was initially taking. I will give my brain time to kick in and see what kind of madness comes out. Thanks again for your time and trouble. ~~~~~Shady

We use a 3 jaw chuck on a homemade sine plate and machined a set of aluminum soft jaws to fit in the oil ring groove We then set one angle with the sine plate and spin the piston in the jaws to make the other angle flat ....very rigid,fast and fits any piston What kind of race car does your boss have? Could probably email pics of vise if needed

Tom

Tom, boss has a 53 corvette IHRA ProMod drag car. He just installed a new Fulton engine, preparing to run this weekend at Buds Creek Md. I would like to see pics of your vise if it isnt too much trouble. I think I may have something that will work with the help of Tony and the others. Thanks for your help, ~~~~~~~Shady

Dan, thanks for the advice...also....good luck to you guys in the chase for the championship. I hope Little E wins, but would like to see Sadler come in a close second.

I made a vise out of a steel plate with aluminum jaws similar to what Tony suggested. I had to be just a little creative (for me) with my programming, but it accomplished the job remarkably well. Thanks again for the input. ~~~~~~Shady

I really appreciate it Tom. Hey..you may even see him qualify this week, we are really expecting alot out of that new 740 Fulton engine. If you run T/S then you probably know Kenny Rucker too then. Kenny is just right up the road from us...I have known him for years. Do you have any pics of your cuda? Thanks for your help ~~~~~~Shady

• 1 month later...

Tom, I got the pics, thanks alot for your time and trouble on this one. What I went with was more like your first suggestion but I may build a unit like you have for future use. If you ever happen down this way I hope you will take time to stop in and visit. Talk to ya later, ~~~~~~~~Shady