Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cuttting plastic's

Woodshapes Inc

John,

Mainly any plastic we cut would be some HMW stuff and a little teflon.

Both move around alot - we use 2 or 3 flute HS cutters or inserts for plastic for turning, 700-1200 surface feet and all the feed it will take, it all depends on fixture and material thickness. Coolant don't work well - we use a straight water mist - then run the coolant or WD the crap out of everything to keep machine from rusting.

You milling or turning parts?

Later,

Mark

John,

Sounds like you are using a router? headscratch.gif

And as far as PVC - never cut any. frown.gif It should cut really good, as it is a sturdy but soft plastic.

Try to contact some of the guys in the link I provided - or wait until tomorrow - someone with router experience would be better for you to talk with. I am mainly a metal cutter, Milling and Turning.

Like I said - what plastics I have cut - we run BTTW - all our machines can handle. You may be able to run with out any coolant or anything but you will need a air blast or something to keep the cut chips from packing or getting back into the cut if you are after a good finish. HSS cutters are the only way to go in any plastic I have ever cut, carbide is not as sharp and in some cases will pull or grab the material leaving a crapy finish.

Sorry - not much help! frown.gif

Later,

Mark