Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS and 5 axis

Bruce Caulley

Can a wcs be used together with 5 axis machining using defined views?

To save time and allow checking between op1 and op2 I have started programming a job from both sides.

Let me clarify.

WCS top: machine part from top face and front and back using single datum set at top and centre of bounding box

WCS #: wcs set as top and centre of bounding box as seen if part was flipped over. I have then had to create 3 different views to allow machining on angled faces. When I select the origin for these views as the origin of the "bottom" wcs, I get a different x,y,z value for each one. I would have thought that they would be the same.

Will this effect anything when I post the programmes?

headscratch.gif

Bruce

I know i could just post it and check but I don't have the machine time available. MC is a deckel dmu50

[ 09-24-2004, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: BC10146 ]

Bruce,

unless you are actually locating the part on a already machined face and you need to use a different datum, I would leave the origin button well alone. If you have turned the part over, create a new wcs for that view, and use the same datum if you can. Do you have a file you can upload onto the FTP?

Tinny

I do have a file but I would end up in front of a firing squad if I showed it.

What I usually do with a part that has 2 5 axis ops is have an mc9 file for one side and another for the back. This is a pain sometimes because I need to verify, save as stl, xform stl use as stock model for the 2nd op file, get a watertight stl problem blah blah blah.......

What i am doing now is both 5 axis ops in 1 file. That way when I verify I end up with the completed part and I can see if any of the first op processes have interfered with the second op. Our 5 axis post uses a single datum so when I create a view I must set the origin for that view as 0,0,0. If i am in a wcs other than #1 top and I set a new view I select the origin on the screen as the view origin the x,y,z values are different for each new view. If I create views while in wcs#1 and select the origin on the screen I get 0,0,0 no matter what.

I have been ploding away on this for a couple of hours and it all looks good. I was just wondering if anybody else had used a combination of wcs and custom views in the same file before.

I have posted some of the toolpaths and they look alright. I will continue this and see if it is successful as it will be a big help on complex 5 axis parts that we currently do in multiple mc9 files.

Bruce

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hey Bruce.

What works for me is to create the initial Top View using the WCS, then as I need to I create T/C Planes ALWAYS keeping the created top view WCS active when creating toolpaths. I never create multiple MC9 files for parts. I may on occasion create a new one for fixtures if the MC9 file is getting excessively large, other than that, one file so I can Verify the whole part.

HTH

"What works for me is to create the initial Top View using the WCS, then as I need to I create T/C Planes ALWAYS keeping the created top view WCS active when creating toolpaths....one file so I can Verify the whole part."

I use this same process and it works great for me too.

Bruce,

as long as you set the tool plane to bottom, then all will be well. The problem I find with all this is I have to attack the part from multiple sides, so keeping track of all the tool plane numbers is a nightmare. I always set a new WCS for every toolplane and name the view.

Rob