Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

integrex 200s markIII

greif

Hi

We just bought a integrex 200s markIII & will be recieving a variaxis in a few months. We are looking at getting mastercam for programing.

In your honest opinion is mastercam the best product to use for these machines? Of curse the salemans says so, but don't they all. He came bonk.gif & gave us demo but when I asked him to program a part (not too difficult) in front us us he would not, all he would show is just rerunning paths on parts that were already done for his canned demo.

One problem I have with his quote also is huges amouts of money to write posts for these machines even though he said "mastercam has the best post already out there for the integrex". We aren't afraid to pay for posts but if there are good one already out there for these machines do we need to pay these huge amounts.

How good is mastercam for 3axis work? is it easy to learn & user friendly?

thanks

cheers.gif

I have several customers with integrex's and they are very happy. There are several posts available for the machine from your dealer and/or inhouse. Mastercam has a very good relationship with Mazak, and mazak's application engineers are using Mastercam. (Anyone at imts notice the "Programmed with Mastercam" stickers on the mazaks?)

Mastercam is very strong in 3ax and getting stronger. The learning curve to get up and running is not bad, and there is an abundance of training materials and support(like the forum) available.

Try not to let the fact that I'm an MC dealer lead you to think my opinion is biased. wink.gif

It works for us.

Programming an Integrex is not a spectator sport. I doubt any CAM system can come anywhere close to "click somewhere on the model and watch the program happen." If someone CAN show you that, I guarantee that they are not accessing much of the machine's capability.

I can assure you that there has been a huge amount of development in the post that In-House can offer.

Welcome to multi world, it's a lot of work. Don't expect the work that others have done before you to be free to you.

Having said that, here's some free advice: For turning on the new Integrex with B axis at angles other than zero and 90 degrees, use the B axis value on the tool data page to get B axis positioning during the tool change rather than long code from the CAM system. The Pro control is much better at this than the original 640 Fusion.

Int 300Y 1

Int 300Y 3

MC mill 3 + solids + lathe

1) As Harry states, the Integrex and machines like it are very complicated machines with a lot of capability; I doubt very much that anyone will get you 'post and run' code for intricate parts, though I don't know for sure. There are some guys here on this forum that have a lot of expertise with these machines and MC [Harry being one of the best] so they'll be able to help with problems that you have along the way.

2) As far as the demo goes, if you are looking at making a serious investment in Mastercam software, posts, support, training, etc. I would make damned sure that the reseller you are in contact with is up to the job before I made any kind of commitment. I would draw up a relatively simple part geometrically [that will represent all of the types of machining you expect to do in your machines] and tell the MC dealer that you do not feel comfortable specifying his product until you see a Mastercam file to machine that part. Let the reseller work on it without you looking over his shoulder but make sure that when it is done that he shows you how he did it. A reseller that can't program isn't going to be very helpful when you have a problem.

3) Just because a post is developed already doesn't mean that you aren't going to pay some bucks for it; a LOT of work goes into a post for a machine like that and nobody's going to give it away. If you went to ICAM or somebody for a post you'd be looking at better than $10K I'm sure. I have heard that the IHS post for the Integrex is very good but your local reseller may rather you run one of 'theirs' so that they can see what's going on in all areas. Be careful of this, our reseller locally, Steve Biehl, is a very skilled postwriter, as is Jimmy Wakeford, but there are some that are HACKS [i've seen 'professional' post modifications that are comical] so know what you're getting into.

Good Luck

C

Write the order with a Purchase on Proof of Performance clause. If you are not making good parts - then you don't pay the bill.

Chances are that the parts you are going to be doing are of a complexity that would be beyond the "Demo Jockey" and this is why he was reluctant to do a part on the fly. Sounds like it is a case of the driver - not the car that has the problem.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Everybody so far has made good points.

Mill-Turn definitely is not a spectator sport. Few have the experience to drive on of those bad boys and a good portion of them hang out in here. Not every reseller has the experience with them but, let me restate that BUT Mastercam has the finest support network in the CAD/CAM Industry BAR NONE period end of story. Not only do you have the expertise of a lot of everyday folks using the stuff on their relatively simple parts, you havefolks doing extremely wicked stuff that makes the journeyman programmer tremble. With that said, the Post Processor is the most important piece to the puzzle next to the programmer. Do yourself a favor and invest in the In-House Solutions Post. It's gonna run you some $$$$ but well worth every penny of it. Dave Thompson stands behind his product.

Do have a performance contract, but be fair, be willing to accept your own shortcomings that are not the fault of the software. Make sure you get the appropriate training, even if you have to get on a plane to Tolland Conn. or pay Dave Thompson or Glenn Stephens at CAD/CAM Consulting in California. He's the efin MAN when it somes to that type of stuff too.

In summary, you've come to the right place, now make the right, most educated decision and Welcome to the Forum. cheers.gif