Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpathing ruled surface

mario1

I'm fairly new to using mastercam. I've got a handle on 2-D operations for the most part. I'm trying to figure out the ruled wireframe option under toolpaths. Trial and error. I put a file in the FTP Router folder called LMP04-test. I'm trying to put an arched surface on a 12" wide x 42" long piece of poplar. I need the toolpath turned 90 degrees going longways with the grain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mario,

Do you have access to Mastercam mill? We will use mill level 3/solids, create a surface toolpath, and then backplot and save the toolpath geometry. We then open it with router and use a 3d contour path to follow the geometry and cut the part. Works great for these once-in-a-while times that we need to do some surfaceing. We have also opened them back up in mill recreated new surface toolpaths, saved and went back to router again. It works well only you can't regen a mill path in router, or a router path in mill.

HTH

Glenn

P.S.

You have to make sure to turn of cutter comp. and to use the tip of the tool.

Does router have the 2d swept toolpath option?

I took a look at the file. I have Mill Level 1. I created a straight line and the ends of your arcs, and then used it to create a 2D swept toolpath. It looks like it'd work (If router had the 2D swept toolpath function). The only problem I have is it'll either cut 1/4" above or below the contour you have. I am not able to get it to cut right on. Not sure why. I'll have to play with it a bit more. Quick fix though would be to offset the machine + or - 1/4".

I can upload the file with the 2d swept toolpath in it if it'll help.

Thanks alot for the advice. We don't have Mill here but Router does have the 2D swept toolpath function. I learned something new. I couldn't get it to cut longways with the grain though doing it that way. I went with copying the arc a bunch of times and doing multiple contour cuts. The piece came out good. I'm gonna play around some more with that 2D swept toolpathing. It will come in handy for some other stuff they want me to do. Thanks again.