Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Starting Mastercam from Windows Explorer???

Will Slota

Your Mill8.txt should be in the MC8 folder (root). When you install MC8 it asks whether or not if you want mc8 extensions to be opened with mill8. Go to a folder after you have made sure the mill8.txt is in the right place and right click on an .mc8 file and click open with and set it so that every file with an mc8 extension will be opened with mill8 or design or whichever you are using. wink.gif

Naw, The mill8.txt is in the right place and mastercam runs just fine if I click on the icon or the mill8.exe and all my mc8, mc7 geo, igs... files are associated with the mill8.exe to be honest its kinda confusing. I was wondering if I do the repair from the cd won't it overwrite my mill8.cfg file and then won't that mess up the v8.1.1 add on settings?

Make certain you have MC8 files types associated with Mastercam. For example, in a Windows Explorer windows in Win2k, go:

1. Tools | Folder Options.

2. Select the File Types tab in the Folder Options dialog.

3. Look for MC8 in the Registered File Types listbox(if it's gone, you'll have to add it manually).

The open action for MC8 files should be similar to the following:

X:Mcam8mill8.exe "%1", where X is the drive that Mastercam is installed on. Hope this helps smile.gif

Right on.

You can associate any file extension with any program this way, whether it will actually open it or not. Works similar in win98 also- highlight the file and hold down either the shift or control key (I forgot which but it is one of them!) and right click to get the "open with" option. You will have the chance to permanantly associate the file extension highlited with a program if you like.

Bullines is quickly becoming my hero........

Jim