Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

importing a custom tool from mc9 file

OCHOAN

hello all, i am attemting to write a contour cut path for a cnc grind operation for an o.d grinder. i drew the grinding wheel in mc9 lathe and cannot figure out how to import that into my geomitry file so i can use it as a custom tool. any imput would be appreciated. thanks guys.

This is for Mill... I could only guess that creating custom tool profiles in Lathe would work the same way.

quote:

Mastercam uses tool profiles during backplot and verification to display the tool. Each tool type included with Mastercam has a corresponding MC9 file containing the profile geometry. You can create custom tool profiles to use in place of the tool profiles provided by Mastercam, or use them to create a custom tool using the Undefined tool type.

A custom tool profile must be saved in an MC9 file or on a level in the part file and must meet the following criteria:

¨ Draw the profile in the Top construction plane.

¨ Use only line and arc entities.

¨ Position the lower-left corner at X0, Y0.

¨ The X dimension must equal 1.0 in either metric or inch units. Mastercam can use the same tool profile in either metric or inch units.

¨ Use an open contour to outline half of the tool.

¨ No undercuts are allowed.

¨ Do not include other geometry in the file.

Note: Saving the tool geometry on a level keeps the tool with the part file so that if the part file is moved to a different computer the tool geometry goes with it.

1. Choose Main Menu, File, New to start a new MC9 file.

2. Press [F9] to display the system origin.

3. Create the profile geometry starting at the system origin (0,0).

4. You can optionally save the MC9 file in the C:Mcam9MillTools with the other Mastercam tool profiles or in another directory.

5. Select the MC9 file in the Define Tool dialog box to use as a custom profile.

The easiest way I have found to make a similar tool is Main menu > NC utilities > Def tools > library. Open a tool in the library of your choice, edit whatever you want to, then hit save to library. This will make a new tool with the changes you made.

The define tool page will still be open, hit cancel. This will leave the original tool parameters alone.

Now you have 2 tools, 1 that was the original and 1 that you just modified.

or

Open the tool library

Hi-lite tool to be copied

while holding down [Ctrl] and hit "C" then "V"

Tadaaaaaaaa. An exact copy is made.

Lathe custom tool geometry rules:

There must be separate planar closed boundaries for the insert and holder drawn in the Top view.

The boundaries must consist of lines and arcs only.

The insert and holder geometry must be different colors.

There must be no other geometry in the file.

You can also draw the geometry on a level within the current .mc9 file. On the Geometry tab of the lathe tools page select the level radio button and enter the level the tool profile is drawn on.

I guesss Robk eluded to this already. THis is a good option if th etool is unique to the part. If th etool is common to other parts, an external file is a better option.