Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Rough Project

kathy

Good Morning Boys and Girls biggrin.gif

It looks like I’m back programming part time! (I told the powers to be I can do it all) But I digress…

I have a 3 Axis surface pocket in a part that I need to machine. I can get a somewhat decent tool path using contour around the walls of the pocket, with a few minor weird deviations, but the tool will not drive across the floor of the pocket. I want to use Surface – Rough – Project and I’m not sure how to setup the last page concerning projection type. Yes – I did look through the Mastercam help files. frown.gif

I appreciate that it’s Monday morning and my phone is ringing off the hook, but I was hoping (for old times sake) that someone could illuminate my path!!

~Kathy

I am also working on a reverse post issue – what fun. eek.gif My drill commands are a series of M codes, not G8x and although the profile code processes back in just fine, the ‘drill’ motion is ignored. The following is an example. I’ll keep plugging away on this one.

N5 Z3.13

N6 G90 G92 X0 Y0 Z-1.0 (PRESET X, Y, Z AXIS)

N7 G00

T1

Z-3.

N8 X-1.0826 Y-1.208

Z-1.64

N9 M74

N10 Y-1.858

N11 M74

Z-3.

N12 X12.8277

Z-2.59

N13 M74

N14 Y-1.208

N15 M74

Contour is'nt good for the shallow areas >30 or so degrees....Project blend is a fun one, takes some experimenting with.

-select your drive surface, then you need two "chains". You can be very creative with the chains, the toolpath is "projected" between the chains. A good example is to use a central point above your surface for one chain, and a containment boundry for another. Also try two single "rails".

Gotta run.

hth

Kathy,

cmr is correct but there's also an alternative when using your Surface-Contour toolpath. If you select the TPCFG.dll C-Hook from the list, check on all the new parameters for toolpaths after V9.1. One of the new switches refers to the addition of a Flats button for Contours. This will allow a Surface-Contour toolpath to perform a flat toolpath similarly to a 2-D Pocket. HTH I still prefer the Surface-Project toolpath myself. If you use it, select the Blend technique. This is only available in the Surface-Finish-Project toolpath. cheers.gif

Thank you both - I am still confused as to how to setup the chain parameters to drive the tool. I haven't used the TPCFG C-Hook at all except to turn off the parameter when I ran out of memory Sunday. Oh my, talk about rusty! I'll contiune to play. I also sent an sos to my dealer...

~Kathy

The toolpath "projects" itself onto your surfaces...the chained geometry is what the toolpath "projects" from.

Eg.

draw a point at z +4.000.

draw a circle at z 0 ,dia 3.000"

For chained geo, select the point, then the circle. For drive surfaces select something within the circle boundry and lower than Z 4.000.

Tool path will project from the point, down to the 3.000 circle, looks just like a cone. Any drive surfaces within that 3.000 circle will have a toolpath layed on it.

There are MANY diff. combinations of geo that you can use for your chained geo.

hth