Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas DNC settings

I am having a problem setting up my Haas VF-4 for communications. It is a 1998 model. I am using cimco editor that comes with mastercam. If anyone could please send me a screenshot of the settings used in cimco it would save me a lot of guess work. also if you could provide the settings for the machine. I don't know if I should use Xon/Xoff, DC modem, ect.

Hello,

The HAAS machine defaults to xon-xoff syncronization. While the machine will do software flow control using this setting, it is better to set the syncronization to DC CODES. The HAAS will then perform X-ON handshaking when the Recv RS232 button is pressed. Set your DNC software to Wait for X-on or X-On Hold or however they word it in Cimco and send the file. At the machine - receive and the display should go from Loading... to the O # in the program and then SND Done.. The file will now be resident in the memory of the HAAS. Make sure the first and last characters in the program are a % - otherwise you may end up with a RS232 buffer empty alarm or be stuck in a Loading... mode until reset is pressed.

Good luck,

John Carpenter

www.WireFreeCNC.com

Glad I could help. There are several quarks to machine tools that make life simpler when they are resolved. That is one of the key components to choosing a DNC vendor - it's not just the software or hardware but how you 'tweak' the controls into the system. Same reward is found with a post that is tweaked to a control - so you never have to modify the NC code (in an ideal world)! Now if the post was 'perfect' - we could just bar code the raw material and have the Cam system post the file on the fly while it is drip-feeding the machine...

Regards,

John