Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

training at axsys inc. in wixom

biss03

without upsetting the webmaster or Axsys (lets keep in mind the saying: if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all), has anyone taken any training at there facility? I'm looking at going to the advanced 2d toolpath class. The mill level1 class i took 3 years ago was pretty informative. any responses would be appreciated. biggrin.gif

A few years back i had training there ,All levels of Mastercam plus lathe, Took a solids classes last year when i upgraded to V8. Great place. But before you go make a list of Mastercam side topics that you want answers to. The guys at Axsys will bend over backwards for you. Contact Chuck the head training guy there.He,s da MAN!!!!!!!!!

Hope to see ya at the SAE Expo 2001 at Cobo Hall Sept 25 to 27.

Kenneth Potter

I had taken mill7 when it first came out. It was pretty good and I learned some things.

There is a nice little pub about a mile from there too wink.gif...

Chuck Beckus was my instructor. Now they come out here to the shop to train our moldmakers.

One major complaint is the drive! I had to travel from St. Clair not the Shores but the one up near Port Huron and if there is an accident on 96 like the one I had to deal with... Forget about it! Over four hours to get home. And that occured nearly every day.

Get a hotel room if there is a great distance to travel. Say over 45 miles or so.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Bill ]

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Bill ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

But before you go make a list of Mastercam side topics that you want answers to.

This right here is the key to getting the most out of your valuable time spent in training.

When I teach sometimes, and I get few or no questions, it's kind of a bummer. Because for one, I cannot possibly concieve every single scenario for any given topic. I'll go through as many as I can think of but it's important for the student to give input, otherwise, you'll go away upset that you didn't learn what you wanted.

Try to address questions at the time they are relavent too. Like don't bring up a surfacing question when you're working on drilling. Not that instructors would not answer them but it kind of breaks the flow of things in class. You know?

Just a thought, now I'll shut up.

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

When you take trainning classes for mastetcam ,You will be in a computer lab with others who may be more advanced or at a plainly weak level of knowledge of any cad/cam system, Wasting a lot of valuable class time & holding others back.You must bust thru this software and make a list of anything your having a hard time with. Create your own senerios & write them down if need be. If your instuctor gets stuck he can always get his boss"Chucky" to kick in some input! Be prepared ! Take plenty of notes. Bring a tape recorder. Bring your own cad files that your having problems with to class!!!!! What pisses me off the most when i go to any trainning class is those who only show up cause there getting a few days off from work & fumble"stumble" thru it all. I drove my instuctor Nutts! asking questions before the classes ended & thats what the Instuctors at Axsys want!!!!

Kenneth Potter

BTW

The Bar maid at that bar that about a mile away makes some great Bloody Marys. biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone! So Chuck is still teaching down there. I believe he was just starting when I was there last. The building wasn't even completed yet. He is really good at teaching Mastercam.

Bill,

What pub would that be? There are actually a couple of good ones I discovered last year while I was down there for B & S CMM training. There is also a good restaurant for lunch that has a killer soup buffet and sandwich for 5.00 or something like that.

I always get a hotel room, I'm in Muskegon(along the lakeshore) and it is app. a 3 hour drive.

Gary,

If muskegon isn't too far "south" for you, Muskegon Community College offers a basic mastercam class in the fall and the advanced (surfaces) class in the winter. If you want to know more let me know.

once again, thanks to all for the replys and please don't stop, I still have another month before I go so any more advice would be much appreciated! biggrin.gif